• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

coil spring installation help.

6bronco6

ok guys, I got the truck up on jacks...unbolted all the bolts, and then lowered the front end. The old spings slid out nicely. The new springs seem to me a little longer, maybe an inch im guessing. With the front all the way down, there doesn't seem like there is enough room to install the new ones. Do i need to unbolt the botton shock mount? Is this ok to do? any help, advice comments would be great.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Sure its ok to unbolt them. I normally try to lift the body up, but whatever works.;)

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
If you are talking about the spring cups on the bottom then yes Loosen them some and you should be able to slide in your spring and then turn the spring to lock it into place. At least that is how I did mine.

OP
OP

6bronco6

actually i un loosened them all the way, took them out with the spring. They are pretty rusty , so im going to clean them before i re-install. I just need a few more inches of drop to slide the new springs in. I thought they were the same size...but they seem an 1" or 2" taller. I ordered 3.5" with winch...hope i didn't get the 5.5" by accident. anyone have the height of the 3.5" when not compressed? I thought i had 3"-3.5" coils in, based on the measurements given on this website. Now im thinking i had 2.5" maybe. Whats the easiest way to slide my new coils in?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
What about supporting the axle with the floor jack and taking the tires off to lower it some more?

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
When I let mine all the way down I have like 6 inches between the spring and the coil bucket. Do you have a sway bar or sumthen???

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I put a floor jack between the radius arm and the frame to press them apart to get the extra room to fit the spring in.

OP
OP

6bronco6

Well i already have the tires off, and a floor jack lowering my front end. I took off my driverside sping already. I left my passengerside on, just in case i needed to look at it for re-installing. I wonder if i take out the passengerside, if it will drop some more. I But im not sure i got the jacks up high enough. I have about 5-6" left before the drums are on the floor. seems to me at almost full flex now.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
It will drop more and bind less with both out. You might try it if you've a brick wall on going any lower. Good luck.

6bronco6 said:
Well i already have the tires off, and a floor jack lowering my front end. I took off my driverside sping already. I left my passengerside on, just in case i needed to look at it for re-installing. I wonder if i take out the passengerside, if it will drop some more. I But im not sure i got the jacks up high enough. I have about 5-6" left before the drums are on the floor. seems to me at almost full flex now.

OP
OP

6bronco6

The other coils still attatched might be limiting my extra drop i need. When re-installing, do i start the bottom cups in, then screw the coils in? Is there a certain order things must go back together ?I hope i didn't open up a can of worms doing this myself...

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
I have done it every way possible. I prefer to start the bolts on the lower retainer the screw the spring in, then jack it up and tighten it down.

OP
OP

6bronco6

ok, I will try taking out the other spring tomorrow, seeif that gets me a little more play to install the new springs. Also...Im thinking with the extra 1" or 2" i might need a drop pitman arm or something? Bump steer was fine before, but not sure how it will be affected with these new coils. How do i know what to get? Its a dana44 but not sure what year. I saw that there are certain year pitman arms? am i right?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Replacing coils isn't bad. Don't be nervous about your can of worms. Consider this as an initiation. We'll help if you get stuck. ;D ;)
I bet after you remove that other coil then you'll get the drop you need. When you reinstall the cups and the upper bracket make sure all the bolts are loose, tighten them only after they are all in place. :)

U

Unregistered

Its me 6bronco6, just unregistered, forgot my password sorry guys. I got the other coil spring out, but now i still don't have enough room for the new coils. Looks like it might be binding on the bracket attatched to the steering stabalizer? or maybe the shocks? I tried taking off the steering stabalizer but the bolts are almost stripped. Looks like 2 small u-bolts holding it in around the steering linkage. please help.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
unbolt the shocks first, if that don't work also free the steering linkage. If bolts are rusted or stripped - you're going to have to replace or fix them sooner or later.
Have fun! ;D
With me, things don't come apart til I get mad!

U

Unregistered

Should i have enough drop for 3.5" coils without taking apart the steering linkage? Do all you guys have a steering stabalizer? could that be limiting my drop?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Each vehicle will be a little different. I'd try to loosen the bolts 1st rather than remove everything.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After taking the wheels/tires off and undoing my shocks, I had enough room to get my 3.5" coils in there. It was kinda tight on the drivers side, but the pass side went right in. To make it easier...I went ahead and loosely put the two bolts in the bottom retainer plate and screwed the spring into place by twisting it. Then raised the axle up with a jack until I could put the top retainer back on.

Hope that helps or wasn't to repetitive.

Blue71

Attachments

• Im003154.jpg
    Im003154.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 54
U

Unregistered

Blue, thanks for the pictures. Looks like your front end is almost on the ground. Mine is just hanging. binding up somewhere. I think its the connection of one of the steering rods connected to the steering stabalizer. I only need a few more inches. Looks like its attatched by 2 small u-bolts. Looks to be a pain in the ass to get off. anyone else have this connection to there steering stabalizer? I tried taking off the shock, and the bolt keeps turning with the shock itself.