• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coilover Advice

t120r

Hello, I'm going to be buying some Radflo coilovers pretty soon. A local shop stocks them. I'm just not sure which ones to go with. I have 27" eye to eye at static ride height and I have 6" of clearance on uptravel as well.

The 12" shocks are 33.5" extended, 21.50 compressed and 27.5" at mid travel.
The 14" shocks are 38.50" extended, 24.50" compressed and 31.5" at mid travel.

I am leaning towards the 14", but would like advice either way.

Last edited:

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of a open ended question not knowing anything else about your suspension set up, have you looked at ORI struts by chance? Not a expert by any means but Twisted Customs here in the Black Hills uses ORI's for most builds.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
if they stock them they might be able to steer you in the right direction on what to get. The length is the easy part.... valving and spring set up will drive you crazy

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
do you know your weight at each corner? you might need that information. You might need that broken down in sprung and un-sprung weight.

OP
OP
T

t120r

So i dropped into TMR Customs today and Tim (Owner) went over my specs with me. He figures a 12" coilover will fit best for me and when i get him the weights, he can spec the valving and springs for me.

OP
OP
T

t120r

Not sure what I'll have to cut yet. Hopefully nothing or very little. The more I think of it, the 12" coilovers are going to work better.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
When I sized my coil overs I put the front suspension in full bump. From there I measured the eye to eye and used that to see how long a coil over to have. you dont want the coil over to be at full compression at that height.

OP
OP
T

t120r

When I sized my coil overs I put the front suspension in full bump. From there I measured the eye to eye and used that to see how long a coil over to have. you dont want the coil over to be at full compression at that height.

That's what I'm doing today. I am removing the stock coil buckets and will cycle the suspension. I'll let it sit at full bump and trim the new coil mount to fit. Should work fine.

OP
OP
T

t120r

So I've decided on the 12" coilover. The towers I'm using are TMR Customs and measures 14.5" from the top of the frame to the upper mounting bolt. This gives me 29" from the upper mount to the axle tube with a 3.5" lift. The coilover measures 33.5" extended and 21.5" collapsed. That gives me a mid-travel of 27.5". Pretty much a perfect fit and should work fine in my toy. I'll weigh it and leave valving and springs to the TMR guys, should get me close.

ajxeee.jpg