• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

coilover spring rate/length questions

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Ok I have 14" fox 2.0 im setting up right now. I have 16"300lb lower springs and 12" 275 lb uppers.

i want 4" to 5" of up travel but when I put weight on them I had 6.5 to 7 inches of up travel.. do I put a shorter spring or a lower spring rate. .. I do prefer a little stiffer spring for side hill control.

When I had these set up the adjuster ring was all the way up...

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would suggest you read the Pirate4x4 bible below...it does a pretty good job of explaining why you should spec your spring rates and lengths for the frequency of the system rather than just the ride height. Setting ride height is fairly easy and can be done in a variety of ways, however may not be making the most of your suspension performance or coilover capabilities.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/coilovers/Part_1/

welndmn

Bronco Guru
A 275 over a 300 Is not as big of a gap as I personally like.
Do you like the spring rate now?
I run a 250 over a 350 on the front of mine.
You can swap to a softer upper spring, then set your secondary stop a little closer to the 300lbs spring.
The other option is a triple rate kit.
You can't just swap to a shorter spring as a coil over needs preload so the springs don't fall out under full extension.