• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column Shift problem - 74 Bronco V8/3spd

peaker010

Loc.
Ann Arbor
My 74' Bronco column shift is hanging up between 1st and 2nd gear. If I use reverse or 1st, I cannot get the shifter to move to 2nd or third without opening the hood and playing around with the linkage at the column. The vehicle shifts fine if I just drive it around in 2nd and 3rd or reverse and 1st, it is the cross over that seems to cause the problem. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated as I'm tired of pushing it out of my garage! Thanks.

AustinBronco

Loc.
Austin,Texas
I had the same problem with the bronco I just bought. I figured out it needs a new steering column sleeve, new collar, and new shift lever along with rubber seal. All of this from bc bronco, and other stoers online for a total of like 80 dollars. Hope this helps, I too got tired of opening hood and moving linkage!!!!

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
you can probably get by for a while "Square Shifting"
that is in First and you want second, pull it out of gear wait a second till the shift tube drops and then slowly put it in second.
I did this for many years ,being too lazy to rebuild the column. I just went through it a few months ago and fixed it.