• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Complete Parts list for NP435 swap needed. (Tech Article?)

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I've begun picking up the parts needed to do my stock 3 on the tree conversion to an NP435, however I want to make sure I have everything before I start the project. I have a stock 289. Please help me compile a list of everything required for this swap including the miscellaneous stuff that always slows us down b/c we never have it around during crunch time. Hopefully Jon will take this list and add it to the Tech Section.

1. NP435. (check)
2. Adapter to D20 (check)
3. Rear main seal. (Part number? Vendor?)
4. clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel (can either use stock or new parts)
5. Bellhousing. (will the stock 289/302 bellhousing work?)
6. Bellhousing gasket (vendor?)
7. Clutch linkage (can use stock)
8. T-case donuts. (vendor?)
9. Template to cut out tunnel cover (Anyone have a copy of this please email me)
10. Is it necessary to buy the tunnel cover from JBG? What if I don't have any body lift- does it require a larger hole for the install?
11. Shift boot and mounting ring (JBG)

Please add your corrections/additions and deletions as you see fit. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
raleigh_bronco said:
I've begun picking up the parts needed to do my stock 3 on the tree conversion to an NP435, however I want to make sure I have everything before I start the project. I have a stock 289. Please help me compile a list of everything required for this swap including the miscellaneous stuff that always slows us down b/c we never have it around during crunch time. Hopefully Jon will take this list and add it to the Tech Section.

1. NP435. (check)
2. Adapter to D20 (check)
3. Rear main seal. (Part number? Vendor?)
4. clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel (can either use stock or new parts)
5. Bellhousing. (will the stock 289/302 bellhousing work?)
6. Bellhousing gasket (vendor?)
7. Clutch linkage (can use stock)
8. T-case donuts. (vendor?)
9. Template to cut out tunnel cover (Anyone have a copy of this please email me)
10. Is it necessary to buy the tunnel cover from JBG? What if I don't have any body lift- does it require a larger hole for the install?
11. Shift boot and mounting ring (JBG)

Please add your corrections/additions and deletions as you see fit. Thanks.

5. Yes
6. Gasket? Do you mean the plate between the engine & bellhousing? If so, then the stock one will work.
7. Yes stock linkage will work
8. You must mean mounts. Can get from most of the vendors. Got mine from JBG
10. If no body lift, then yes you'll need a bigger hole.

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
For my cover I just cut out a piece of metal to cover the hole and trimmed the new piece to fit around the np435. Then I just went to the junkyard and got a big shifter boot off of a later f150 to cover the tranny that still stuck through the floor.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
raleigh_bronco said:
Thanks.

One more question;

What gear oil is preferred and how much?

usually standard gear oil but some of us use synthetics. 75x90 seems to be popular
The Ford party line is 50 weight non-detergent hydralic oil. Shell makes it and it is a synthetic.
As to your list I have a personal biased for that list

12. Gear Gawker for tranny 24 dollars
14 (hate the number 13) Gear Gawker for the Transfer case 35. dollars

I am a little prejudiced about these as I make them LOL

TOFIC