• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cool article on Diesels and Engine Efficiency

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
For all you Diesel guys or those of you just looking for some interesting reading on engines and efficiency. There is a pretty cool article the Nov 07 Fast Company magazine. It talks about a guy doing some pretty amazing stuff with diesels, electric and other varieties of motors to get some pretty amazing HP, Torque and MPG numbers.

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html

Galen

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good article. I want a diesel hybrid now.

Dogdare

Really great and inspiring article. As the owner of 2 diesel vehicles (neither one an EB :( ), I've always wondered why no one was making a diesel hybrid, or even just doing more with (bio)diesel.

Herb

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hoax, big ideas and no practical app

I'm also calling BS from the Group W Bench! (LMFAO;D As I was reading your post, Alice's Resturant was playing on the local radio station for Thanksgiving)

Still waiting for my flying car!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Its all claims-- nothing proven
it's on the internet--- so it must be real

MTV has been such an beacon of truth over the years with segments such as REAL WORLD
AND THE MPG, sheesh - I aint heard ones like that since the 5500 LB 4WD with 38s getting 35 MPG.

Dogdare

Its all claims-- nothing proven
it's on the internet--- so it must be real

How do you know it hasn't been proven? Because it isn't on the internet which you don't believe?

I have a relatively lightweight VW Passat turbo diesel that can get 40mpg on the highway, and that's with a measly 2.0L turbocharged engine putting out 140hp. I don't see why a heavier vehicle, with a significantly stronger diesel engine, couldn't get similar mileage. Higher HP results in higher mileage, assuming you can keep your foot out of it.

I also don't doubt that the Impala didn't have any exhaust or emissions restrictions on it, which have hampered the mileage of modern production diesel vehicles.

Herb

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Relax, I gots a VW wetta that gets 47. Have you ever herd the saying if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is,
But maybe I could sell you some Fuller brush
With the BILLIONS that CAT , Cummins, Mercedes, MAN, IVECO, Isuzu, Each have spent on R&d, you don't think this little Group would not put one of them out of business with their claims.
Hell Infomercials Unite;)
Lets just say I gots some inlaws or outlaws in Missouri and they always tell me "SHOW ME"

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Relax, I gots a VW wetta that gets 47. Have you ever herd the saying if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is,
But maybe I could sell you some Fuller brush
With the BILLIONS that CAT , Cummins, Mercedes, MAN, IVECO, Isuzu, Each have spent on R&d, you don't think this little Group would not put one of them out of business with their claims.
Hell Infomercials Unite;)
Lets just say I gots some inlaws or outlaws in Missouri and they always tell me "SHOW ME"

You're not alone. I was an engineer at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis for a few years and still have my "SHOW ME" license plates hanging in the shop. I routinely catch flack for questioning some of the outlandish claims. Too many conspiracy theorists out there that truly believe that Detroit will not build a fuel efficient vehicle because they are getting paid off by big oil. i.e. The 100 MPG carburetor that the oil industry bought the patent for so they could keep it secret. I'm sure that the "billions spent on R&D" by these big companies comes with the design goals of less power and less efficiency (ISH!). Even if Detroit has its head so far buried, which I don't believe, that they could not develope some of these products, Japan or Germany would be flooding our market with them. As an engineer and "inventor" I feel that it is entirely possible for some guy in a garage to come up with the better gadget. Look what Hewlett and Packard started in their garage. I'm just amused by the past 40+ years of outlandish or inflated claims that I've seen. I try not to be blinded by skepticism but stay grounded by reality. I recall a big article about a new engine design by some tech guy named "Smokey" in Popular Mechanics. It featured conceptual drawings and calculations of an engine that recovered nearly 100% of the heat energy and converted it to power. It was going to revolutionize engines and double our gas mileage. I think it was between the articles on the space ship that would allow us to colonize Mars by the year 2000 and robotic house wives. So feitctaj, I'm with ya! SHOW ME!

And where's my flying car? Damn it!

Last edited: