• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

corporate 10 bolt swap

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Well it summer and the great RCMP are out in full force doing their inspections....... long story short I have to replace some things on my 71. But while i'm under the truck I notice that I do not have a Dana 44 up front.....BUT A CORPORATE 10 BOLT. what else would the previous owner changed in this swap? I want (READ "HAVE") to change the front brakes
and bearings, They look like the ones in my tech manual but are they?

?:?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Dude what are you talking about? Dana 44's have 10 cover bolts also. Did you change to a right side drop differential? Did you change transfercases? 10 bolt outers are the same as Dana 44s as an FYI.

You gave about as cryptic of a post as possible which is why I strongly doubt you have a 10 bolt front axle.

OP
OP
S

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Sorry to be cryptic, but I looked at youre link to i.d. my axle and it is indeed a corporate 10 bolt, (the bolts are evenly spaced, the dana has some that are offset), please correct me if I'm wrong. Now as you can see I don't know axles but I do know my transfer case is original and the rims were original 5.5" bolt pattern, I still have drum brakes, so What I really need to know is, can you swap the axle but still keep the rest of the assembly original, I have the original steering componants, suspention appears original, the bars have ford part numbers, I have not done any work on the brakes or the ball joints so I don't know if they are Different.

I really just don't want to order the wrong parts. I hate when you rip something apart and then have to wait for parts. thanks for your patience with a newbee

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
broncow72 said:
Give us or someone a pic to post of the axle. Seeing is beleiving.
I agree. It would take quite a lot of cutting and welding to make a corporate 10 bolt to fit. I can't imagine anyone going to all of that trouble to have that axle. Maybe for a Dana 60 but not for the 10 bolt.

As to identifying them the Dana 44 has the bolts spaced relatively the same as well. The easiest way to tell is that the pattern is an oval (almost a circle) on the 10 bolt.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Wes harden said:
A dana 30 ???? thats what came w/ a 71, If the front is so original.
I think you probably nailed it. The D30 also has 10 bolts and is closer in shape to the Corparate 10 bolt than the D44. It's a lot smaller than the 10 bolt Corporate though.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I agree with the others...it's not a 10-bolt.

Does it have the ears on the bottom?
gm10bolt85in.jpg

OP
OP
S

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for your help, it really looks like a dana 30, with the offset bolts, I really appretiate your input. So what are the positive or negatives of a dana 30 vs a dana 44?

stlkikn

Pros
- about 100 to 150 lbs lighter
- its stock
- you can do a disc brake swap onto the D 30
Cons
- its about 100 to 150 lbs lighter (doesnt make a difference for street driving,
but they won't take the abuse the 44 axles will take!)
- gear ratio choices and carrier options aren't as common as they are for the