• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cost of a Painless Wiring Harness install?

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Let me rephrase that.
How much should I charge to do a Painless Harness install on the EB.
Old harness is already out.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have heard about $500 to rewire an eb. If you can find someone to work on an EB for $20 an hour send him over. I'll drink beer and watch. My luck out here is 60-80 per hour to get it done wrong. Now I just buy the tool and do it myself

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
If he is willing to watch and learn and assist (a little), I would charge less than if he said "here is the harness, can you put it in" and hit the golf course.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I charged a previous client $1,000 to install a Centech harness.....but that inluded the cost of the harness. He couldn't wait to pay me.......best money he ever spent.

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
In my shop, to do it right...soldered, shrink wrapped, loomed, secured, etc. $2000 in labor and my customers were happy to pay it giving the quility of the install. Wild Horses used to charge 27 hours to do it and I added a few to the top of that. It can be done in less time, but to do a perfect job takes quite a bit of effort. You will obviously not get this rate in a side job.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i just did one for $250.00, but that wasn't enough. i'll probably get $300 to $350 to do all the ones from now on.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Here is the deal,
Hook up and flat tow 73EB about 20 miles to my garage.
Install Painless Harness and convert to Duraspark.
(customer will pay for parts or already have them)
Go over clutch linkages and clutch. (not complete)
Go over brakes and fix if necessary.
Overall Priority make it drivable and able to pass the safety inspection.

40 hours at least or 1 week. This would be a good week because I'm off on President's Day and have 2 paid day offs coming.

What do you folks think?

I know my projects takes forever that's because I'm picky how I want it done.
But I could whip through a job like this.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Mad here is what I would charge

Hook up and flat tow 73EB about 20 miles to my garage.
2 bucks a klick, about 3.50 a mile, plus 20 bucks labour (hookup etc)
Install Painless Harness
450 if I want to do it, 600 if I dont like the feel of the job plus cost of parts.
parts>> harness, tape, zip ties, shrink wrap,hanging loops, wire labels and grommets.
Convert to Duraspark.
100 bucks plus parts (see above) This to include a new distributor and testing of the Durasperk unit.
Go over clutch linkages and clutch
Screw it, clutch job, 400 plus parts, that way you know it works correctly
Go over brakes and fix if necessary.
Screw the inspection, Brake job complete, done correctly, 250 plus parts this one to include new master cylinder. Make sure he knows this.
Test and adjust for inspection pass
300 plus parts.
Ensure safe and stable operation would be my goal.
AND I want a signed Waiver of Responsibility for the work so I cannot be sued as I am not a licenced mechanic. I have NO problem getting this so you should not have a problem either.

The job would be perfect and the machine would pass inspection. If the guy is willing to help and not get in the way less other than that, send him out for a 200 degree Wagner thermostat for a 54 Volkswagon.

TOFIC

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
RFR2212 said:
how long does it take most people to install one of these, in a good quality non hack job?
It took me not more than 7 hours total. This was done during my afternoons after I got off work from my regular job.
I had a problem with the 3G and that took some time to troubleshoot.

The Painless harness is very simple to install. Intimidating at first but easy as you make progress.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Gary, who wired the OBB stated it was not only fun but easy. He really said this :eek: