• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Couple of questions

Minderbinder3

Contributor
So the Bronco has some new issues today. What I thought is the voltage regulator (see 1st picture) has been buzzing loudly before the engine would finally turn over. Today it was worse after a pretty long drive and the Bronco wouldn’t turn off with the key and the starter was continuing to fire. I had to use the choke to kill it. Luckily it was in my shop and not on the road.

Then after sitting for about an hour I noticed a puddle of fluid under front of motor and hear a sizzling and fluid oozing from whatever (see 2nd picture) is connected to motor and distributor with a single wire. I don’t believe it to be fuel.

Can somebody help me to identify these parts and know if the 1st is affecting the 2nd?

I have disconnected the battery for the time being.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 56

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
First pic is your starter solenoid. Second is your ignition coil. My guess is the solenoid is bad and is continuously supplying 12V to the coil through the "I" terminal. Hook up the battery and see if you get 12V on the "I" terminal with the key off.

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
I think there’s oil in those coils. I would think it’s possible that it leaked out after having voltage continuously supplied to it, and it’s probably cooked. But that’s just a guess on my part

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Think of the coil as a miniature transformer on a power pole. There is oil in both of them.

Randy

OP
OP
Minderbinder3

Minderbinder3

Contributor
I think you are correct. Had a little oil to the touch. How do I know if it is toast?