• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Courtesy Light/Dome Light Wiring

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
So I am trying to put together all the parts for some courtesy lights inside my Bronco. Here is what I want:

1. Door jamb switch to turn on the lights when the door is open.
2. Switch on the dash to override the door jamb switch for when the doors are taken off or I am leaving the doors open for an extended period of time. (I am thinking a simple push button on/off switch should accomplish this)
3. Manual switch to turn on the lights when the doors are closed. Maybe use the headlight switch to do this?

So... a couple questions.
1. Is there a relay that allows two different sources to turn it on?
2. Any recommendations on door jamb switches and location to mount them? I found a couple threads on that, but curious where others mounted theirs?

While this project is months away, I want to get the parts now and make sure the door jamb switches will cooperate before I have it painted.

Thanks in advance!

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Check out this thread and you can see how I did mine. I built the wiring harness and installed it with no drilling. I used surface mount guitar pedal switches in the doors.
There is an override switch. All lights come on when either door is opened and can also be turned on with the headlight switch. No relays are needed. Power comes direct from the headlight switch.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273738

Here is the wiring diagram.
c3a98573993edf3ea5546c24903d25ef.jpg

Jaxgtc

In case you are looking, this is the OEM correct courtesy light for under the dash. Mine came with one and I added a second one a few years ago so I could space them out for one on each side. There are plenty of places that sell just the bracket, this is the whole deal, bracket, socket, and bulb. Can't beat $15 on sale. Grounds to dash.
If you already have a bracket or find it elsewhere (CJ for $11.99, Scott Drake $8.99, autokafters $9.95), you can get just the socket and bulb for $4.95 from AutoKrafters.

https://www.autokrafters.com/p-20348-under-dash-courtesy-light-kit-60-68-galaxie-63-66-falcon.aspx

Attachments

• Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 39

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Those switches will provide a ground when the door is open. If you want to be able to turn on the lights using the headlight switch while the doors are closed, you will need to think thru the wiring a little.

The factory dome light, and courtesy lights, are grounded at the light. They are fed positive power, thru the headlight switch. I just added the door switches to that. They also feed positive power. That way all lights can be turned on with the doors closed using the headlight switch. When the door opens it sends positive power to the already grounded lights. With the doors closed, the headlight switch will do the same.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
In case you are looking, this is the OEM correct courtesy light for under the dash. Mine came with one and I added a second one a few years ago so I could space them out for one on each side. There are plenty of places that sell just the bracket, this is the whole deal, bracket, socket, and bulb. Can't beat $15 on sale. Grounds to dash.
If you already have a bracket or find it elsewhere (CJ for $11.99, Scott Drake $8.99, autokafters $9.95), you can get just the socket and bulb for $4.95 from AutoKrafters.

https://www.autokrafters.com/p-20348-under-dash-courtesy-light-kit-60-68-galaxie-63-66-falcon.aspx

I used the same fixture, but put a 1156 LED bulb in it. More than enough light on the floor with just one. Got a two bulb pack at O'Rielly's auto parts.

Jaxgtc

I used the same fixture, but put a 1156 LED bulb in it. More than enough light on the floor with just one. Got a two bulb pack at O'Rielly's auto parts.

The ole 1156, a bulb of many talents.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I am working on a solution that allows me to use the headlight dome switch and the grounding door jamb switches. I want to set this up on my work bench before wiring in the Bronco.

Anyone have a suggestion on a place to pick up some bosch 5 pin relays and some TXL automotive wire? Waytek requires me to buy 500', which is a bit much for what I need.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Relays are unnecessary. Simply use the '80-93 F-series/Bronco courtesy circuit & switches. They're compatible with the eB headlight switch. The only mods you'd need would be the "cancel" switch(es) for when the doors are removed, but that's easy. This shows the '92 Bronco courtesy circuit:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/186277_1 (for phone apps)

To cancel either door, you'd add a simple (SPST) switch capable of passing as much current as all the controlled courtesy lights draw (probably less than 5A) just above (in the circuit diagram) each door switch. Or a single cancel switch that feeds both door switches.

This & the NEXT few pics show the '80-97 (except some '93 driver's) door switches:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/161326

This & the NEXT one show some '88 switches installed in a '75 eB:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/469351

These are some of the courtesy lights controlled by those switches & the headlight knob:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/627442

He had no need for a cancel switch.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Steve,

This is very helpful. So do I understand it correctly that the late 80's and early 90's big broncos had door switches that interrupt power through them as opposed to most of the other door jamb switches that are just a ground?

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Yes, as that diagram shows, those door pin switches do NOT connect to ground internally. They CAN go to ground, but only if any of their wires is grounded.

Perfect! I am going to order some of those. Now I just need to find a wire harness that fits them or go searching in the junk yard.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I am short on time right now and need to get these mocked up, so I went ahead and paid it. Time is a premium with a 6 week old in the house, so a JY trip is not in the cards for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-man

Sorry bringing up an old thread. I got 2 dome lamps and 2 door jam switches out of a mid 90's explorer. I have the little wires that were with the domes and switches.

In my 73, I was hoping to tap off of the map light hot wire that is already in the roof area, extend that wire to the other 2 domes I want to install. Then , do I just ground each individual light? I would like the lights to work with the headlight switch, doors opening and by the individual switches on the dome lights. It seems like this factor works off the grounds? Do I need to get an 80-90's headlight switch?

Again, Apologize for bringing up and thread.