• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cracked Melling HV pump to be replaced with...

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I'm kinda hesitant to use another melling on my 77 351w after this brand new one cracked on me. Any recommendations? Is "Sealed Power" a good brand of HV pump?

thanx,

Mick

N.FloridaBronc

Loc.
Tallahassee area
Hmmm, I dont like hearing that. I have a Melling HV for my new 351w (not yet installed).
Never heard of one cracking, where is the crack? Wouldn't be at the mounting bolt would it? Youv'e got a torque wrench right?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sealed power is good so is TRW as is Miloden I'd even stay with the Melling it could have just been one of those pumps or something is wrong with the mounting surface. In all actuality a HV oil pump is not nessesary on a SBF but I run them anyways.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Do you folks have any problems with the HV oil pumps sucking all the oil out of the pan? Is there enough time/oil volume to let it return to the pan?
Cheers

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
N.FloridaBronc said:
Hmmm, I dont like hearing that. I have a Melling HV for my new 351w (not yet installed).
Never heard of one cracking, where is the crack? Wouldn't be at the mounting bolt would it? Youv'e got a torque wrench right?

The crack was below the flanged mounting surface. I have pics that I can post. I did use a torque wrench. I find it interesting that had I not timed the cam wrong I would have not caught the cracked oil pump until it was too late. ($50 vs. ??).

Someone likes me...

:D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I would stay with milling as it is a very good pump. You just got one with a flaw in it Have built over 100 motors and used milling pumps and never had one go bad. But it can happen good luck with your choice. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
wildbill said:
;D ;D ;D I would stay with milling as it is a very good pump. You just got one with a flaw in it Have built over 100 motors and used milling pumps and never had one go bad. But it can happen good luck with your choice. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

wildbill..I trust your knowledge. I am going with another millings today. I want to be on a trail-any trail-this weekend! :D

hey..jbeyer...too true. I love my bronco though!!

Last edited:

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
why is it every thing we do on these babies is 2 steps forward and one step back? every time i fix one thing, i find another thing that needs fixing. if these trucks werent so much fun, i might get annoyed.

Hayburner

Loc.
Port Orchard, WA
I have a high volume melling pump that I tried to install on my 351w useing a Ford Racing oil pan , would not fit, becouse high volume pump is taller than a standard pump, hit the bottom of the pan just bairely, maybe that is what caused your pump to crack?

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Hayburner said:
...because high volume pump is taller than a standard pump, it hit the bottom of the pan just barely, maybe that is what caused your pump to crack?

Interestinng thought. I'm not sure that would be the issue with my 351w and dual sump pan though. Anyone? Bueller? ?:?

Hayburner

Loc.
Port Orchard, WA
Hey Hotwheels Call Stan At Ford powertrain Applications he is in Puallup 253 -848 -9503 he clued me in on the problem, he knows alot of stuff about Ford moters I have a duel sump pan also

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
From an experience I had , mine cracked the pan instead of breaking the pump when they gave me the wrong pump and I didnt match it up before installing it on a 351 van motor. I thought the pan was just warped and tightened it down. Had to weld up the pan & change the pump.