• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cracked vent window frame?

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I tore down my vent windows to begin the rebuild on them and found that one of the frames is cracked on both sides. What would be the best way to repair cracks this small? I am planning on having them blasted and powder coated so I want to make sure they are solid.

Attachments

• messagepart.jpeg
    messagepart.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 54

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
the frame starts out as one straight piece that is notched and formed into the window shape.
from the factory there is a line/joint in the corners. if the line becomes a crack you can strip and weld them back up to repair the crack. i suggest using a backer block behind/inside it when welding. i've repaired many of them and even pieced frames together when needed. grind the weld down as needed and blend it in while leaving a small amount of material to hold the crack together.
hth

Pipehitter

Loc.
Clintonville WI
I just went thru this operation. Mine cracked during the removal of the glass and I welded them up in the corners as Nick mentions. Just be sure to try and get the shape correctly to fit the glass before welding so you dont have to try and bend them to secure the glass, as it could put stress on the weld or in another location.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
I tig welded one of mine that was cracked but I wouldn't be afraid to mig weld the frame up. Not to hijack but where are you guys getting the window tape for holding in the vent window. Our Kent dealer has it but in 100' rolls.