• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

crackeling problem in stereo ?

broncoinsane

Loc.
southeren michigan
last week i was installing gauges on lower dash and ran a self tapping screw into some wires,started somking and than blew a fuse.
now when engine is running i get get a cracking and poping through my speakers,but when engine is off is sounds great.
i fixed the wires but what else should i look for?

also when i was repairing the wires i found a red wire about 14 gauge that says something about fusible on it , and it is extremely hot with key on ,is that normal or do i need to replace it?

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
None of your wires should be hot. You should be able to touch any wire and hold on with out it being hot at all.
It's probably a fusable link and is burnt up, and should be replaced. The crackeling usually is because have something grounded that's not supposed to be.
Replace that hot wire with either another fuseable link or a regular wire and a fuse, and look around for other burnt wires that may be touching metal.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I remember a few times I hooked up new speakers, I effed up and i ended up having one or more of the speaker wires grounding out on the chassis/body. Anytime I would jiggle the wires, it would crackle, then I found the frayed wires. Maybe you have the same thing going on under the dash???
good luck

cc

Loc.
eugene, oregon
I would check the ground wires first, and make sure that the speaker wires are ok. I have had the same thing happen to me and it turned out that when I arced the wires it sent a positive charge up the rca wire (i was running an amp), and shorted out a circuit in the head unit. I pulled the head unit apart, got lucky and found the bad circuit. All it took was a thin bead of solder to fix it, and it worked just fine. Mine did the same thing--when the car was off it was fine, and when the car was on there was a horrible engine noise.--GOOD LUCK!!

Jolly66

Loc.
Albuquerque
ground is my guess. A good ground six inches or less. No more than a foot long. Anything longer (depending on watts and such) starts distortion in speakers and a hum through the radio head.

In short, check ground one more time.

OP
OP
B

broncoinsane

Loc.
southeren michigan
Sac '68 sport said:
None of your wires should be hot. You should be able to touch any wire and hold on with out it being hot at all.
It's probably a fusable link and is burnt up, and should be replaced. The crackeling usually is because have something grounded that's not supposed to be.
Replace that hot wire with either another fuseable link or a regular wire and a fuse, and look around for other burnt wires that may be touching metal.

well i traced this wire and it goes from the + side of coil to the ing switch,it says right on it" do not cut resistance wire" the wire itself feels really soft but what do i replace it with?should i run a whole new one from the coil? or just splice into the connection before the firewall? and does it have to be resistance wire>?

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
are you talking about this wire?

If you are, then just go to the parts store and buy a "Ignition coil resistor"

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 58

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Yes, the wire he is probably feeling is a resistor wire for the coil. It was used instead of an external resistor. I can't remember the specifics about it but i discovered it on my last truck. It will get quite warm as a funtcion of its job. It runs in with the harness across the dash. I tore into my harness looking for a short before i found out was this wire did..:mad:

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
The resistor wire should not be cut. If you do, you change its value (1.3 - 1.4 ohms). It supplies voltage to the coil in the run mode. That voltage should be around 9v for a stock coil. Any more and your slowly frying the coil. It is bypassed when starting (full 12v to the coil). If the wire is still intact with just a pierce in its jacket just tape it up with good quality tape. If you choose to replace, you must cut the entire section of the resistor wire out and replace with the same value of wire. To just replace a part of it is not exceptable for the value (1.3 - 1.4 ohm) will not be right.

Dan