• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Critique build plans on my 74

Jedeka

Contributor
I have been trying to gather useful information from this site. I am hoping to start some work on my project this winter. Several years ago, I bought a 74 with a 302 and three-speed. I got it running, but it’s not road worthy. I picked up a Mercury Mountaineer(Explorer) for the 5.0 EFI engine and harness. I would send harness to EFI Guy. I will add the M5ODM2 transmission from a V-6 and twin sticks for the Dana 20. 3-1/2” WH suspension and 1” body lift to clear 35” tires. Axles will get re-geared for 5th gear and 35” tires. A Ford Super Duty hydroboost, Dodge 1-1/8” MC and Super Duty guts in the Explorer PS pump. I have a 4x4x2 steering box that I put together and will pick up a 3/4” mounting plate somewhere. I pulled off front disc brakes from a 78-79 Bronco front axle and researching the Explorer rear disc brakes. I am going to have to buy a replacement tub, since I believe this one is rusted beyond repair. I like the looks of the tubs with the flared lower rear quarters that match the factory front fenders. Everything else gets into the smaller details. Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
watch the rear axle there was the medium duty axle with the 10" X 2" drum and the heavy duty 11" X 1-3/4" drums both can be converted to disc but 2 very different paths to get there. Sounds like building a new Bronco from scratch.

OP
OP
J

Jedeka

Contributor
Yes. The 4.2 V-6 M5OD transmission has the same internals as the V-8 version, from what I researched. The V-6 has the small block Ford bellhousing pattern, but need to drill out the mounting holes. The shifter sits rearward further, so you have more dash clearance.