• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Critique my front end.. go ahead, please be harsh

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Well, I put a new front end on. Chebby Tie Rod over, Dana 44 with ARB, 4.10 gears (planning on 35"s BFG's), put new JBG long arms on.... caster is spot on, road ride is great!
BUT!! I have a couple concerns about these arms on the trails.. who can read my mind?

Attachments

• 100_1302.jpg
    100_1302.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_1303.jpg
    100_1303.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 389
  • 100_1304.jpg
    100_1304.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_1305.jpg
    100_1305.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 365

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
with arms being straight wont that make going over something harder bacause force is directed straight back instead of being directed up making the axle want to go through instead of over? Or does having them flatter make it better?

I want to do the chevy TRE-TRO swap to mine this winter. Do you have problems with the bottom of the drag ling hitting the tie rod, or is there plenty of clearence there? Also what lift do you have? I have a 5.5 and was hoping the TRO and stock pitman arm would help reduce the drag link angle. Mine is terrable! Where did you source the parts for your chevy coonversion? Did u ream out them knuckles or do the weld in insert?

Everything looks great with what you got. I have drop brackets on my 5.5" and mine look like they hang way lower than yours do!

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks great to me. Having wheeled with dropped arms for so many years, I can say its not been a show-stopper of a problem..but I've avoided using them in builds done since.

The only other comment I would have is that I would weld the brackets to the frame and not rely only on the bolts..

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you are worried about it you can sacrifice some break over angle and build a spacer between he back of your radius arm brackets to your leaf spring hangers. That way you can slide over things instead of getting hung up on them.

Beyond that, everything else looks great - keep up the work!

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Ok, good , you guys have alleviated some stress for me.
The cap bolts sit lower than stock and there is about 2" of drop on the radius arm mount brackets. I just foresee catching stuff there.
Think next fall I'll weld standard radius arm mounts on.

bknbronco, I reamed the knuckles. Plenty of clearance, drag link doesn't interfere with the tie rod. The radius arms have higher mounts for the springs by 2", so it's about 5 or 5 1/2" lift. I plan on raising my coil buckets in the near future to keep my center of gravity down. I also have a raised trac bar mount on the axle. That would help you. I sourced my TRE TRO parts from Mike Kirkus at extreme custom parts.. long time Bronco good guy.. http://extremecustomparts.com/

Attachments

• 100_1304c.JPG
    100_1304c.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_1305c.JPG
    100_1305c.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 123

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everything looks great with what you got. I have drop brackets on my 5.5" and mine look like they hang way lower than yours do!

Mine are dropped like that..and then reinforced with a rear 'sled ramp' out of 1/4" thick steel ange to boot. Still..one is cracked right now and both have evidence of incredible abuse. I would never use dropped brackets again on a seriously rock-hammered trail rig....but they sure do make steering much better with all the caster they bring to the game.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
They look too low, Mark. Better get some bigger tires. ;)
You bringing it to Frenchy's? Looks great!

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He better bring it to my house! Mark your rig looks great and will probably wheel even better. I like it. That 77 you've had forever gonnna make it on the road? Or do you even still have it?
frenchy

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Maybe! :) Gonna have to get the rear end done first guys.
I have all the goodies for that, just have to sand and paint the housing, and put it all together...
weld the spring perches on and shock tabs also.. remember that heavy duty 9" housing with the fish mouth welds I had laying in my garage years back Frenchy? finally using it!

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Looks good to me! The diff is going to be your biggest source of clearance problems, but you can't do anything about that. the caps will be fine. is that a spacer between the spring bucket and the radius arm? if so, i'd remove that, but i think you'll be happy with what you have.

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Looks good to me! The diff is going to be your biggest source of clearance problems, but you can't do anything about that. the caps will be fine. is that a spacer between the spring bucket and the radius arm? if so, i'd remove that, but i think you'll be happy with what you have.
Well, the spring retaining buckets bolt into that spacer Bart. Otherwise I would. :)
BTW, me and my son took a trip to Charlotte about 6 weeks ago to watch the Panthers and Packers play. My son is a Panther's fan. Nice downtown area.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
A panthers fan outside of of the carolinas? Good to hear! It seems like 1/2 the people here hate them!

My wife just got a job downtown (or uptown as they say here). I guess it makes it sound better. Come on back in the dead of winter. I promise you won't want to go back home ;D

turbotim2

Well, I put a new front end on. Chebby Tie Rod over, Dana 44 with ARB, 4.10 gears (planning on 35"s BFG's), put new JBG long arms on.... caster is spot on, road ride is great!
BUT!! I have a couple concerns about these arms on the trails.. who can read my mind?

Is your axle a 76-77 or converted to disk on an earlier D44? What size wheels and backspacing are you running? It looks like you have plenty of room between your wheels and TRE's.

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Hey Mark you putting a hi-9 in the rear of it?

Nope, not going that crazy yet Mike. That was nice to have on the cloud, maybe in the future ...
PUtting a heavy duty HRW housing, much stronger than the Strange Nodular housing as discussed in this thread..
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82046

Is your axle a 76-77 or converted to disk on an earlier D44? What size wheels and backspacing are you running? It looks like you have plenty of room between your wheels and TRE's.
Those are F150 knuckles Tim

Last edited: