• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom build shop recommendations

Mcl

Hello, first post.
I have wanted an early bronco for a long time. I am getting close to making that happen. I have been lightly researching and getting an idea of the market for the last few months. I have seen there are a number of custom shops that come up in a quick web search. They seem to have a wide range of prices. I have submitted a request for estimate on a couple that have the feature. Do any of you guys have any experience with any bronco specialty shops? Any you could recommend? I would also appreciate any insight you could offer on cost estimates and lead time (I realize this is highly variable). If it helps I am located in KS. I am looking for a lightly modified bronco that is reliable and very drivable on the street and highway. It will see dirt roads and such but no serious off roading. I have a pretty good idea on the high level options but don't have enough experience to know which individual parts. I would like to find a shop that will look at the overall picture and not just a collection of parts.

I would also be open to purchasing a bronco that is reliable and "mostly" or completely finished. I have looked on eBay for a while but there are rarely any in my area and I won't buy site unseen.

Thank you guys in advance. I have lurked here for a while and this seems like a great forum.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome! You're ahead of the game getting educated and asking questions FIRST so you're not here trying to undo a mistake AFTER. Nick's Trix NC is probably the premier shop for custom builds. But I believe he's backed up maybe 9-12 months and he's expensive but worth it (you get what you pay for).

Check out englewoodcowboy - he's in Virginia and shows his work here all the time. Here's a current "fix"

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270689

There's a few others with good reputations that others will pipe up with here.

A shop that have somewhat less than a stellar reputation with members here are Rocky Roads but I personally have never dealt with them so I only caution you to do your homework with them first.

There's a few others with less than stellar reputations that others will pipe up with here also.

You might want to check out the for sale section here too. It's split between board members and others, and the ones for sale from board members probably have people here that can tell you more about the vehicle and the person selling it. The "others" usually get discussed by members who point out what's wrong or right with them based on the pictures. If you decide to buy one, ask a local member if they'll come with you. There's LOTS of ways to hide the bad and look for the good, but it can take a while to learn. Better to bring someone experienced with you to help you know what you're getting into. Go read englewoodcoyboy's thread I provided above. His customer bought a beautiful "restored" vehicle and paid a lot for it, but didn't know what to look for and got hosed.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26 Board members

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66 Others

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Thanks for the recommendation AZ73. I know most of us builders are building to a schedule, the soonest I can start a new build would be sometime this summer that it would start. Typical builds, if they are a true nut and bolt restoration (like my personal bronco the Duck) it takes about 9 months to a year from start to finish. I do have a lead on a few great candidates for a build so I sent you a PM to give you more details. You are not too far away from us that if you wanted to make a day trip and stop by my shop, please do, our doors are always open however I will be out of town from the 19th thru the 23rd and again from the 28th thru the 30th. And before I forget, Welcome aboard by the way, this is a great source for info and ideas and home to some of the best bronco people you could ever meet.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2nd for Nicks Trixs! If I had the money that is who I would use.

A lot of other great builders that are active on this site as well.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Use the search function, there are several threads on this that are quite extensive. Basically anyone that's busy is going to be better than someone who can fit you right in. You want to pay a fair price for good quality, and not the hype crap.

Once you come up with a short list, run it by those on here for some real-world feedback.

If you can find a well-built one it's probably cheaper to buy one already done.

ajonesny

NicksTrix is my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

Mcl

Guys, thanks for all the recommendations. I was fortunate enough to have a chance to talk to Tom at length. Great guy and understands what I am looking for and not afraid to skip the sales pitch and shoot me straight.

Please keep the info coming.

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
My Bronco is currently with Tom at Lick Creek restorations and I will tell you from the perspective of someone going through it right now, I am really happy. Tom CARES about quality but also being FAIR and HONEST. He gives constant updates and has great ideas that he suggests but doesn't push just his vision either. I would say you can't go wrong with Tom. NICK'S TRIX is also an excellent, top notch choice, depending on your budget. I don't want to speak for Tom, but he would not have a bad word to say about Nick no doubt. Another good choice is Wilburn's in Indiana, great people that do good work as well. Ultimately I picked Tom at Lick Creek because I felt most comfortable with him and he had availability as well. He was able to do what I need within my budget and work with me to fit it in.

ajonesny

My Bronco is currently with Tom at Lick Creek restorations and I will tell you from the perspective of someone going through it right now, I am really happy. Tom CARES about quality but also being FAIR and HONEST. He gives constant updates and has great ideas that he suggests but doesn't push just his vision either. I would say you can't go wrong with Tom. NICK'S TRIX is also an excellent, top notch choice, depending on your budget. I don't want to speak for Tom, but he would not have a bad word to say about Nick no doubt. Another good choice is Wilburn's in Indiana, great people that do good work as well. Ultimately I picked Tom at Lick Creek because I felt most comfortable with him and he had availability as well. He was able to do what I need within my budget and work with me to fit it in.

Share some pictures!