• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom radio build thread

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Newbie here attempting to do my own custom radio install. Nothing fancy, just planning to install a kenwood detachable face deck and some speakers. I did some research on this site (love CB.com) and got some good ideas as I did not want to cut my dash and I am trying to restore this bronco to as close to stock as possible, with only some slight mods to make it more drivable.

So here are a few first pics of what I started. I made a cardboard template and mocked up a radio box to fit under the dash. I then cut out my pieces with 1/2" MDF and screwed/Glued together. Will cover in raptor liner or something similar when finished.

First question - looking to mount a pair of 6 1/2" Polk marine grade speakers somewhere, but can"t decide where to do it. Again, don't want to cut the body anywhere. Any suggestions? Thinking of making a pair of boxes to squeeze up over the rear wheel wells but running tight on space with roll bar and the gas overflow bottle on the drivers side. (See radio 4 pic)

Appreciate any photos, suggestions, etc.

Will post more as I make progress.

Attachments

• Radio 1.jpg
    Radio 1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 115
  • radio 2.jpg
    radio 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 104
  • radio 3.jpg
    radio 3.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 98
  • radio 4.jpg
    radio 4.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 104

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
What about a Tuffy security console or the "knock offs" (cheaper). They have that little slot you can install a stereo in. Then it is locked up and out of site, keeping that stock look. You can easily unbolt the console for that completely stock look.

Also if you stay with the box you're building you could install the speakers into each side of it.
Polk (marine) are a great choice.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
I have a bench front seat, so the tufty console (which is awesome) is not an option for me. Great idea on mounting speakers on side, may have to find smaller ones than the 6 1/2" Polks I have now. Might put the polks in the rear and get a smaller pair for up front.

Thanks, back with some updates soon.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I put 4" speakers on the sides of my box. Plus 6" rounds in the rear worked pretty well. 6X9's in the rear would have been better. Note that I centered the box on the dash, not on the tranny tunnel. I think it looks better that way and moves the head unit closer to the driver for an easier reach.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 117

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here's the other side which actually drops down the side of the tranny tunnel a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks for the photos and recommendations guys. Nice radio box scoop! Like the diamond plate. I am considering 5 1/4" speakers on the side of mine and some roll bar mounted speakers behind the driver and passenger.

Anyone know if the jeep roll bar mounted ones will fit? I guess I will just need to measure and modify.

Keep the ideas coming!

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Check out the BCB media console: http://www.bcbroncos.com/interiorupgrades.html

Pretty cool idea. I like that I could keep the dash looking stock and still have some tunes with relatively no fuss.

I've seen lots of center consoles like Scoop posted, but haven't seen one yet that was integrated nicely enough that to me it doesn't stick out as being overtly an add-on. (No offense Scoop!). And if you did do one like that, it would probably be pretty spendy.

What you're building looks like a nice start, you could add some small speakers to the side and paint it to match the dash and it would look pretty good!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
@ Fireball - No offense taken!

Here's another idea which I did on a 66 restomod project. I think it integrates better with the stock dash. Cool thing is it's held on by small c-clamps and no drilling into the dash to install it. It worked very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 58