• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

custom steering system, have any of you made your own?

1970mule

Bronco Guru
what i am talking about is a steering system like this on bronco graveyard

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12780_1966-77_trail-proof_bronco_steering_system.htm

so any of you guys fabricated something like this? i mean it doesen't seem to hard. just need some DOM tubing like they have and some male heim joints to thread into there, or is it harder than i am realising.

if any of you have done it please feel free to post some pics.;D

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've done it, but after buying the tube, heims, and bolts and then your labor time and welding you are better off calling Anthony Terry at Stonecrusher and letting him hook you up. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
how much does the DOM cost by the foot, for what i need it cant be more than $70
and i can get the hiems for about $10 a peice. so $120-150 aint bad.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what size heim are you getting for $10/ea. If it is large enough, do you really want a "budget" heim used in such a critical place on your truck? If that heim goes south at a bad time/place it could cause a bad day.

73bronco

I built mine. I used 1 3/4" o.d. 3/8" wall tubing for the tie-rod and 1.5" o.d. 1/4" wall for the drag link. I used the highest quality heims I could find though. I would never dream of using $10 heims for steering! Or really anything for that matter!

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Did it , loved it, $10 3/4 x 3/4 heim joints, still going strong 10+ years later;)

Ask 2broncos2go ... the whole system is still on their vehicle .

howiebilt