• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting down full width axles to EB width

Highlander

Loc.
Chelan, WA
I would like to upgrade to a D44 front and a large bearing 9" rear.

So what does it involve to cut down full size axles to the EB width? Is that something local machine shops do or is it something that can be done at home with a good welder and someway of aliening things?

Does a person shorten the right side or left? And how is it done grinding off the weld at the center section I assume?

And then I suppose after the axle housing has been shortened I would buy a new axles for the shortened side, or of course I could buy a complete set of 31 splines?

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
First of all it would probably be cheaper to find an EB width D44 to start. But anyway,FW D44's are shortened on the right (LONG) side. then the axle is shortened and resplined/hardend.. Depending on which housing it is,(cast or welded c's) different shops shorten them on different ends. but most take it out of the diff housing side.. best left to the rear end shops that do that kind of work to make shure everything gets lined back up and straight!!!

9" housings are shortened on both ends with new bearing housing/flange you can buy from a number of different vendors.Again best left to the experts who have the proper jigs to keep everything straight. Then just buy new axles to fit...Reweld new spring perches to proper width and pinion angle and away you go!!

I do alot of fab work at home, build my own engines/trans but I let a local 4x4 shop tweek on my gears and housings because they have the proper jigs and tools to do the job right... Have fun!

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I ended up buying a narrowing jig a few years ago. Between me and my buddies we have narrowed ten or so axle housings. With more to come. Two of which will be FW D44 and 9" for my Bronco.
It's housing is easy to do. As with everything, if you have the right tools.
The axles we farm out. Most of the time a pair for 120 give or take.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Depending on which housing it is,(cast or welded c's) different shops shorten them on different ends. but most take it out of the diff housing side..

Almost all I've seen are narrowed by cutting the inner C off and shortening the outer end. That's how I just narrowed the HP D60 that's going under mine.