• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting off a twin stick....

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
I need to shorten one of my twin sticks about an inch for shifter clearance. They're stainless, if that matters, and wondered what would be best for chopping some off. I'm assuming a cut off wheel, hack saw, or sawzall will do the trick, but sometimes I get in trouble when I start thinking.:)

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
I don't know your situation exactly, but seems like it'd be a better option to heat the shifter and bend it to get the clearance you need? Beats cutting and rethreading one if you could do that.

OP
OP
JC

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
Stainless is tough stuff. A cutoff wheel would be the easiest. How does the knob attach?

That's what I was thinking! I've never done anything with stainless before. The current knob is threaded, but I'll be cutting the threads off. I have another knob to put on.

My 435 shifter bumps the rear shifter when its put in low range. That's why I'm wanting cut the twin stick down a little.

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
That's what I was thinking! I've never done anything with stainless before. The current knob is threaded, but I'll be cutting the threads off. I have another knob to put on.

My 435 shifter bumps the rear shifter when its put in low range. That's why I'm wanting cut the twin stick down a little.

I just installed the JBFab sticks and my NP435 shifter hit the rear shifter too. I just bent it toward the driver an inch or so and viola.

OP
OP
JC

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
Thanks, you're right, that would work too. I don't have a way to heat and bend, unless I build a fire outside. I just want to shorten it about an inch. Thanks!

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
A common propane torch on the area you want to bend it for a couple minutes will get it done. When it turns a faint dark red, bend it!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have the WH's version twin stick, I had to bend mine a bit. Just put it in the vise and add some leverage to it. It only takes a few minutes to take them back off.

trailbound

what ever you do, just don't heat that stainless to bend it. You wont like the discoloring result.

Personally I would simply bend my 435 shifter. I've put 2 sets of twin sticks in. Both broncos had 435's and i've never seen this issue. But I bend my 435 shifters way down.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Cutting would be the easy part....starting new threads on heat hardened stainless barstock would be the tough part.

I would strongly suggest you bend rather than cut/rethread.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
JC, Ben had the same issue. He bent his using a torch. I think he said he took some steel wool to it afterwards and polished it back up.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I heated my Tom's shifters up and bent them out of the way - used some steel wool and you can't even tell. Use a torch - bend em. Simple as that - easiest to have someone heat them while you sit in the drivers seat and bend them how you need them.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I had to bend my stainless, it's discolored sure... but it matches the rest of the rig!

OP
OP
JC

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
I wasn't planning to rethread it. Have a shift knob that slips on and has a set screw. But, I think I'll go ahead and get a propane torch (and steel wool) and try that. I need to bend my 435 shifter just a little too. Thanks again!!

Bundy

Bronco Guru
you can go to a muffler shop and offer em $20 for the 2 minutes it will take for them to heat it up...

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Propane may or may not get it hot enough to bend easily, might have to use map gas, or go to a shop with oxy acetylene, that will take 2 min.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Propaine will work, just heat were you want to bend it to a dull red, the hotter you get it the more discoloring you will get.
If you need to cut it, use a grinder with a cutting disc....
Jon

OP
OP
JC

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
Propaine will work, just heat were you want to bend it to a dull red, the hotter you get it the more discoloring you will get.
If you need to cut it, use a grinder with a cutting disc....
Jon

Thanks Jon! By the way, I'm very happy with your product!! :cool: