• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 Complete Overhaul- Parts List

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm overhauling a gutted out 1974 D44 and need to know what all I need.

Here's what I have so far;
1. just purchased a new Detroit True Trac.
2. will use the chevy disc brakes from my D30.
3. already installed new ball joints.

Plan on ordering chromolly 4340's and joints from one of the vendors and new 4:11's. What installation kits and parts should I get for this complete overhaul? Remember I'm needing everything from the knuckle in.

Thanks.

mr.n

Before we jump to far into this...

Did the axle come with bearing caps?
(If not, I wouldn't of bought it as a core)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If I remember there were 2 levels of install kits. One has just what you need for a gear change and the other had everything for the pumpkin rebuild. Not sure if either had the inner axle seals.

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
If I remember there were 2 levels of install kits. One has just what you need for a gear change and the other had everything for the pumpkin rebuild. Not sure if either had the inner axle seals.

I guess I need to buy the master rebuild kit and the inner axle seals. I wonder if the master covers all bearings?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I guess I need to buy the master rebuild kit and the inner axle seals. I wonder if the master covers all bearings?
Yes the master kit has both sets of bearings. 2 for the carrier and 2 for the pinion. As far as I've seen none of the kits include the inner axle seals.

mr.n

Bering caps, yes.

Thank you. It's now an axle worth rebuilding... if they are in good shape.

A basic refresh will cost over $300.... Sure you need to do a complete rebuild?

Do you have all the "hard" parts, and are they in good shape?
Do you have all the seals and bearings?
aka is this a complete axle your rebuilding?

To make sure we are talking the correct parts...
SpicerCore_Dana44_.gif

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Be sure you don't order a master kit that includes all the outer stuff for the knuckles too. I think some of the bronco vendor master kits are everything. I think the minor and major kits for the pumpkin come from the various drivetrain vendors.

mr.n

Be sure you don't order a master kit that includes all the outer stuff for the knuckles too. I think some of the bronco vendor master kits are everything. I think the minor and major kits for the pumpkin come from the various drivetrain vendors.
Great point.

I am always happy with Spicer parts... for the price it's the best value.