• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 gear pattern and a couple related questions

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Alright, so I set out to get my gears set up today, and I think I might be in business. Only one little issue...

I'll cover what I did first in case anyone wants to know... I had already made two attempts the other day, but my pattern was way off, drive side was on the toe, coast was on the heel. My backlash and pinion preload were both within spec. This is where I picked up today.

First I attempted to change the shims on the carrier, but ended up with too much backlash, so I had to change pinion depth and therefore preload shims. I happened to nail it the first time, by subtracting equal thickness shims from both of those. I went back to my original carrier shims and had zero backlash, messed with that a while (in, out, in, out, in, out) and ended up with both preload and backlash within spec again.

The below pic is the final pattern I got. Reading billavista's article it seems like I'm not loading it enough, which is giving me the weak contact, however the pattern looks acceptable. I used the "shove a rag covered pry bar in there" method of loading, which obviously ain't the best, and is not giving me the desired 40+ lbs of resistance. A friend suggested installing the axle with the current pattern and giving it its true load. That would be great if I knew it was gonna work, but the thought of disassembing it again, and shimming with it installed gives me nightmares. I included a pic of the pinion just so you could see what the contact looks like on it even though for set up purposes that doesn't really matter

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to load it?

Attachments

• pinoin2.jpg
    pinoin2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 48
  • pinion1.jpg
    pinion1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 27

bigjhoov

nobody
can't see a pattern. you don't have to go all the way around with the paint to get a pattern. just roll the paint back to where it will contact the pinion. rock it back and forth while holding the pinion for preload.

bigjhoov

nobody
i can kinda see it, but it looks too wide. should look like a crescent moon or semicircle on the ring gear.

bigjhoov

nobody
can't say without the gears getting a good wipe. you can reactivate the paint with a shot of brake cleaner if it gets too dry. you're looking for this, preferably on the coast and drive......

images

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Yeah, I'm definitely not getting patterns like that. I thought it was the lack of load, but more than likely it's the pinion depth. We got those nice patterns when we did the 9", but as you know it's a little harder with the 44. I'll get back on it in the morning, thanks for your help Jerry.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Thin out the marking compound with gear oil.
I usually wedge a pry bar on the carrier to preload.
What is your back lash?
Get us pics of the drive and coast side.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Preload is 9in-lb with a used bearing, and backlash is .008. I'll thin it out and see if I can get a better pattern.