• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44...gear setup question

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a D44 stripped down and will be ready to start re-assembly before long. Most of the tech I have read says to start with the shims from the old setup and then go from there. Everything in my front end will be new except the carrier bearing caps. Semms like that would be a good idea if you were only making a gear change, but what about in my situation, with everything being new, would you remove the shims from the old parts and start there?
This is my first setup on a D44, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am putting in 4.30 gears, new open carrier with detroit ez locker, all new bearings, races, seals, yoke, etc. Using yukon axles and yukon super joints.
Purchased everything from Complete Offroad. I bought a Richmond gear video also in hopes to pick up some tips, but it got smashed in the shipping.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I would pull the old shims and measure them first. Write down where each set came from. Look on the head of the old and new pinion. There should be a measurement on there. I add or subtract the difference of the markings to the "old" pinion shim total. That usually gets me close..... sometimes ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Are you changing the carrier? If so then you will be starting out fresh for the side shims. For the pinion shims use the same as before to start with and then compare the numbers etched into the pinion heads on both as stated above and adjust from there.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SO...since I am changing the carrier do I put an equal amount of shims on each side of the carrier until it's tight in the bearing caps and then move shims from one side to the other to adjust the back lash?

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I'd still start with approx. the same shims that came out of the old ones. It would be a good idea to use the old bearings until you get close. This will lessen the chance of the new ones getting damaged with the press on, press off routine.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Mr. Joe.

I bought setup bearings and a setup race because theres no way with my luck I could remove and replace those bearings several times without screwing something up.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
JWMcCrary said:
I bought setup bearings and a setup race because theres no way with my luck I could remove and replace those bearings several times without screwing something up.

Perfect ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
First measure the total of both sides and record it.
Then:
Don't use any shims at all on the drivers side initially. Start with the same shims on the passenger side as it had initially but don't force it in if it doesn't fit. You can get the backlash pretty close just by adjusting the shims on the passenger side and leaving the drivers side out. This will both make it easier to get the carrier in and out and will be less to change each time you make an adjustment. Then once you think the backlash is pretty close measure the shim pack on the passenger side (or rather keep track of it as you make changes). Install the difference between that measurement and the total measurement of the original on the drivers side and check the preload. Once the preload is right (or close) go back and check the backlash again. Keeping making adjustments from there until both the backlash and preload are good. Then check it at least 3 times after you are sure it is right.