• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 from NP435 Removal Question

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I am getting ready to remove a Dana 20 from the np435 I picked up, both out of the truck on a stand, I want to re use the existing D20 from my 3 speed. I've never pulled a d20 before and just want to know if there is anything I should be watching out for. I have a breakdown of the dana and from what I can tell, looks like the needle bearings are the only thing I need to worry about, and what about the adaptor any worries there. Seems pretty straight forward but thought I should ask the pro's. I'm sure I will have more questions when I start the swap. Any tips would be appreciated.

Harold

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Ya, needle bearings... Chances are, a few will fall out, but no big deal. Just pack them back in place with lots of grease so they will stay in place. If you don't have a replacement gasket (D20 to NP435) you can use Black RTV silicone. Its a fairly easy swap.

OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
OK, pulled the dana off the trans, the retainer is still attached to the dana. Does the retainer need to be pressed out or how does it come off ?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
What retainer are you referring to? Is the adapter and spud shaft still with the transmission or the Dana 20? The adapter and spud shaft are attached to the Dana 20 with six bolts. Take them out and you can separate the two.

OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
The alumn pc on the spud shaft that's what I meant by retainer. I gave it a little extra tug and they came right out. I hate prying on something when I'm not sure what I'm doing it felt tight at first tug. Not a mechanic but can usually figure it out with a little help. Thanks

Attachments

• dana 20 001 (Copy).JPG
    dana 20 001 (Copy).JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 52
  • dana 20 002 (Copy).JPG
    dana 20 002 (Copy).JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I had a bad clunking noise when operating by hand in 4 low and high and the front drive seemed to turn half a turn and stick and half a turn and stick so that's why I pulled them apart, I have a dana already with the three speed and what to use it. It acts like a flat spot when you turn it.