• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 an 9 inch gear change and rebuild

Gn1

Loc.
Chicago
How difficult is a gear change and over haul and how expensive are the tools for Dana 30 9 inch

70_Steve

Old Guy
How difficult is a gear change and over haul and how expensive are the tools for Dana 30 9 inch
If you are mechanically inclined, it's not too bad of a job. Definitely do the 9" first. They are very easy to set up because of the ease of changing pinion depth and backlash. Use that experience to set up the Dana differential.

Not much in special tools. For the most part just an inch/lb torque wrench for setting pinion bearing preload and a dial indicator for measuring ring gear backlash. $40 for the torque wrench, and maybe less than $20 at HF for the dial indicator and base.

I have a couple 3 jaw pullers for getting old bearings off, and I have had good success heating new bearings in a (dedicated) toaster oven to re-install.

OP
OP
G

Gn1

Loc.
Chicago
Ok cool I am a heavy equipment filed mechanic 30 years I have those things. I don't plan on doing heavy wheeling with her and have already
Done the disc conversion to the 30. But I want to go to 411 with the 33s and a six. Don't I need that spreader tool for the 30? Thanks!

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
For any gear set up that has the shims under the pinion bearing for preload to set the pinion depth. I buy a new set of bearings and take a brake hone and open the ID up on the new bearings so i can remove them easily to change the shims.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Ok cool I am a heavy equipment filed mechanic 30 years I have those things. I don't plan on doing heavy wheeling with her and have already
Done the disc conversion to the 30. But I want to go to 411 with the 33s and a six. Don't I need that spreader tool for the 30? Thanks!
I've never actually set up a Dana 30, but I will think it's similar to a Dana 44 or Dana 60.

The carrier bearing preload comes from a "tight" fit of the carrier with bearings and races. After determining the total shim pack thickness, just add .005 or so to achieve the preload. You should be able to install the carrier assy in the housing with a dead blow hammer. To remove the carrier (when all else fails) run a rag in between the pinion and ring gear as you turn the yoke. This will force the carrier out of the housing.

Here's a good article on setting up a Dana differential. The article is on a Dana 60, but the Dana 44 is pretty much identical. I'm just assuming the Dana 30 won't be significantly different.

pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

Oh, yeah... you'll also need setup bearings for the carrier and a setup race to set the pinion depth. I made my own from the bearings I removed from the original carrier. Just used a Dremel to open up the inside of the bearings (and the outside of the race) so it was a slip fit on the carrier.

Before you remove the carrier bearing caps, make sure they are marked, so they go back in the exact same orientation.