• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 8 lug disc front?

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Anybody run a Dana 44 DISC front axle with 8 lugs?

I've got a D60 rear I plan to use, only problem is it's got 8 lug drums. I can either:

*Carry 2 spares - one 5 lug and one 8 lug. (Inconveinient, but doable, and probably the cheapest way.)

*Change over to discs on the rear D60 and go to 5 lugs at the same time (if this is possible.)

* Simply swap the 5 lug hubs and rotors on the front D44 for 8 lug hubs and rotors (but I'm not sure my 15x8 wheels will fit over the larger rotors and caliper).

There ARE Dana 44 disc 8 lug axles out there, right?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
For a drivers side diff, look for a late 70's F250, the lighter duty ones had D44's, or an 80's 3/4 ton Jeep J-truck. It may also possible to swap knuckles between 1/2 ton and 8 lug D44's too.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
[quote author=malcolmzilla link=board=5;threadid=19021;start=0#msg145688 date=1056173594]
It may also possible to swap knuckles between 1/2 ton and 8 lug D44's too.
[/quote]
That's the ticket...just find a knuckles out for 8 lugs. Or just go disc rear and convert to 5 lug.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Try 80's 3/4 ton suburban rotors. I believe they are the same size as stock Bronco rotors. You will have to check if the spindles are the same.

OP
OP
E

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=19021;start=0#msg145692 date=1056173941]
[quote author=malcolmzilla link=board=5;threadid=19021;start=0#msg145688 date=1056173594]
It may also possible to swap knuckles between 1/2 ton and 8 lug D44's too.
[/quote]
That's the ticket...just find a knuckles out for 8 lugs. Or just go disc rear and convert to 5 lug.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking swapping "knuckles out", if I can find knuckles that are:

*Dana 44

*either flat top or have relatively high steering arms

*have spindles, 8 lug hubs and rotors, and caliper brackets.

Changing the rear D60 over to discs and the 5x5.5 Ford pattern is an idea, but it's a full floater. The hubs are over 4 inches in diameter - so I'd have to find a 15" dia wheel that has the right size center hole to fit over the D60's hub/axle flange, have the 5x5.5 Ford pattern, AND fit over the large rotor and caliper that come with most D60 rotor kits.

A tall order - but possible, I think. The reason I want to stay with 15" wheels is that I just bought a set of 5 brand new 35x12.50/15 ProComp Muds. If I can stay with the 5 bolt Ford patterm, that'd be even better, since I also have a set of 5 nearly new 15x8 steel wheels with the 5x5.5 Ford pattern.

I seem to remember one of the magazine staffers (4x4 & Off Road, I think) has a '69 Bronco that they use to test a lot of parts which runs 8 lug 15" dia wheels over large rotors and calipers in the front.

Anybody know the truck I'm thinking about?

OP
OP
E

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I found it.

4 Wheel & Offroad, July 2000 issue, page 56. (Yeah, I save all my back issues.)

So I know that 15" rims will fit 8 lug drums or rotors (provided the backspacing is correct, and maybe a little caliper grinding).

I also found out WMS (Waggoner Machine Service) will machine 8 lug D60 hubs to the Ford 5x5.5 lug pattern - so it looks possible to use my existing 15" steel wheels (after I get the center holes machined larger to fit the D60's larger hub.) Of course, all this machine work could get expensive.

I'll have to compare that to the cost of special ordering 15" 8 lug wheels with a special backspacing.