• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Pad Removal

GregP

I am replacing the dash pad on my '76. Based on the original shop manuals, should be just the 9 screws along the front and the two bolts that secure the window. But after some digging, it looks like there are 6 more screws that secure it in place located between the dash and the windshield frame. Seems like I need to raise the top and drop the front windshield. Is anyone aware of another simpler way of removing the dash without dropping the front windshield? Thanks.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You can take a rotary die grinder, with a grinding wheel, slip it between the dash and windshield and grind the heads off of those screws. The dash pad will come right out. It’s not the preferred method but will get you by until you have the top off. Might want to shield the windshield with something so you don’t accidentally grind it.

You can also apply some panel adhesive to the front of the new pad if you don’t plan to have the top off. Again, it’s not the ideal method but it’s a lot quicker than pulling the top and folding the windshield….. the dash is pretty solid even without those front screws or glue.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I just replaced mine last week. Yes I had to lift my top to push the windshield forward but it was not that big of a job. My top has never been off so it was a little more difficult breaking that seal but no issues. While I had it out I painted teh dash as it was just tired and scratched up. Looks so much better.

Attachments

• seats fin.jpg
    seats fin.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 75

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
as we go thru the yrs I think there's 3 different dash pads. Not sure if they attach differently.