• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Deaver spring eyes too small?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've installed a lot of new springs under EBs and tonight's cussing adventure was a first.

New Deaver 4.5" rear leaves. The rear spring eyes were undersized and after an hour plus of cussing and fuming, the only way I could get the steel bushing through the urethane parts (and not have the urethane ends all mushroomed out way beyond the point where the shackle would go over it) was to cut the bushing ODs down almost 0.125" on the lathe. That's a lot..and I've never had to do anything like that before to fit new bushings in new or old springs.

The front eyes?..no problem whatsoever. Put bushings and sleeves in almost by hand...light taps with a hammer. After taking almost an eighth inch off the od, the rear ones installed the same way.

Anyone else run in to this? I'm done with it so won't be bitchin' about it any more...but not everyone has a lathe handy to make those "adjustments"...

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Curious about your bushings Bill. I cannot recall if the bushings are different sizes between the front and rear spring eyes, but I had no issues installing my 3 1/2" Deavers...it was about ten years ago. Burned the old bushings out of the shackles and put everything back together with poly. Seems that I used a bit of lube and tapped the bushings in with a mallet. Roger

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Curious about your bushings Bill. r

They are the standard-issue urethane ones from WH and other vendors. "Energy" maybe?...

I actually pushed them out of a set of WH 1180 5.5" springs to use them in these new Deavers!! And I pushed them out by hand..which is what I would call "typical fit".

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine were Energy also, so dunno about the fitment issue between the springs...seems like they should have slid right in. Did you measure the spring eyes, just curious now.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
My 2.5 in Deaver leafs came with bushings and there was no problem (on my uncut). I have a set of 3.5 in sitting in my garage waiting to be installed (on my trail rig). Those did not come with bushings. The difference is I was able to drive to Deaver to buy my 2.5 in springs and they gave me a set of bushing there. I had to order the 3.5 in springs. Now I am wondering....

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Mistakes can be made at the plant. If a guy puts the wrong template piece in, a shift change, a running change. A lot of variables.
I would just measure all the parts and call deaver.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
What is that thing?

I was at the FFF show at Knotts and saw a few EBs with a bracket on the passenger side, above the rear wheel well. What is that thing?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I was at the FFF show at Knotts and saw a few EBs with a bracket on the passenger side, above the rear wheel well. What is that thing?

Its a clip for the spare carrier can rotate all the way around and lock in place so you can have the tail gate down and still drive down the road.