• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

detroit electrac vs. ARB

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
I'm getting ready to get me a new locking diff.,Is there anyone out there that has had both Arb and the electrac that has an opinion?My steering on my truck doesn't work to good so Iknow when the front end is locked its gonna be hell but Im concerned that with the electrac in the unlocked position(truetrac)it may still cause some slight difficulty as compared to the unlocked ARB(open).Anybody got some good advice?Thanks.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Yep, had em both and was in your situation with the EB a year ago. I went with the Electrac. I have PS, but no hydraulic assist. When the Electrac's unlocked, steering is no problem, so don't let that enter into your decision. Thoughts from my comparison:

- When unlocked, the Electrac is limited slip, ARB is open. I've found that I don't have to lock the Electrac nearly as often as others with me on the same trail with ARBs.
- When locked, both are locked solid, so no difference.
- Cost is about the same when you consider total cost of each (compressor and ARB together vs Electrac.)
- Ease of install is MUCH easier for the Electrac, since there's no drilling through the axle housing to run the air line, no air line, no compressor, etc.
- Trail fix: if the ARB air line, compressor, etc. fail, you have an open diff. If the Electrac actuator fails, you can choose to install a trail fix kit (5 minute install) that unlocks it, OR you can remove the actuator which locks the diff, so at least you have a choice.
- There's no o-ring to leak on the Electrac. ;D
- Warranty and customer service - both companies have good reputations and have been around for a while.

What tipped the scale to the Electrac for me is the ease of install and limited slip mode when unlocked. I've had it in for a year, done lots of hard core rock crawling, and am very happy with it.

Steve

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
GJBroncoMan, Did you install these yourself and if so what special tools are required. I have never setup a dif. before. Where is the best place to purchase these? TIA ;)

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
[quote author=77TexasBronc link=board=5;threadid=22217;start=0#msg171286 date=1063825406]
GJBroncoMan, Did you install these yourself and if so what special tools are required. I have never setup a dif. before. Where is the best place to purchase these? TIA ;)
[/quote]

Yep, installed em myself. ;D If you're installing in a front diff and not replacing r&p gears that are in good shape, the only "special" tools you need are a ft-lb torque wrench and a dial indicator with magnetic base to set the backlash. That's what I did when I installed the Electrac.

If you're installing new gears, then you'll also need a in-lb torque wrench and probably an air ratchet for the pinion nut.

Except for drilling thru the case for the ARB air line, there's really nothing extra about installing these lockers than what you'd do to install new r&p gears. Oh yeah, I got my dial indicator at Harbor Freight for around $30 I believe. Good torque wrenches cost more if you don't have those.

I would not recommend setting up gears yourself if you've never done it. It can be a very expensive learning experience. ::) However, it's usually not hard to find someone to show you how the first time. Lots of people think it's rocket science; it's actually pretty easy.

Steve

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
I'm in the same boat you are, with the prices being almost the same I cannot make my mind up. You do get a compressor with the ARB though. Can someone pick out any advantages/disadvantages besides the fact you get limitedslip with electrac and ARB you gotta drill some.

GaBronco

Loc.
South Ogden
The fact that if the electrac breaks you can either return it to limited slip and finish the trail or leave it locked in. Correct me if im wrong GJBroncoman! ::) Thats what sold me. I think!

Nathan 8)

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
[quote author=GaBronco link=board=5;threadid=22217;start=0#msg171415 date=1063844226]
The fact that if the electrac breaks you can either return it to limited slip and finish the trail or leave it locked in. Correct me if im wrong GJBroncoman! ::) Thats what sold me. I think!

Nathan 8)
[/quote]

Nathan, you're correct. If the actuator fails, the wiring fails, or you somehow completely wipe the actuator off of the diff cover, they supply a trail fix kit. It's a metal plate and a spring. If you put the plate on w/o the spring, the diff will be locked; if you put the spring in, it will be unlocked. To install it would take five minutes if you're real slow. Can't do anything like that with an ARB... ;D

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I don't have any experience with the Electrac except to have been on the trail with two other people who have had problems with theirs.

I run an ARB and am fairly happy with it. I already had onboard air so I didn't have to buy their compressor, which made it cheaper for me to go ARB than Electrac or OX, especially since I picked it up on a mass buy. I've only had the ARB in the front since June but I've done quite a bit of wheeling since then and it hasn't had any problems.

For me, the ARB being open when unlocked was a positive. I prefer an open front most of the time, and with a spool in the rear, I probably engage the ARB about as seldom as GJBroncoman engages his Electrac.

The vulnerability of the actuator on the front of the diff on the Electrac concerns me a little, although I haven't heard of anyone knocking one off on a rock yet.

My final advice is you would probably be well served by either one, so get whichever one seems cool to you. Functionality wise, the open vs. ls when unlocked is the only real difference so if that makes a difference to you, then I guess that settles it one way or the other. I will say though that selectable lockers are the bomb!

Dusty

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Thanks for all the input.I believe I may go with the electrac due to the fact in the unlocked position it wont affect my steering. That was one of my major concerns.One thing I love about my EB is the manuverabilty and I didnt want to jeopardize it.I also like the trail fix deal.I didnt know that.Thanks again for the info guys. Kevin.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Dusty, if you are referring to the 2 problems when I was with you the first one was a short axle not a electrax problem. The sec., Dons, I will be sending that one back to the factory, I talked to them today and they didn't have a clue, had never had that problem before but wanted it back ASAP.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Yep Chuck those were the two. So I guess it was only one then, since Jason's problem with the short axles would have been a problem whether he had an ARB, Electrac or whatever. But you know I had to try to pad the results in favor of the ARB! :)

So any ideas on what the problem was with Don's? With suck a new design surely its something they will work out in future revisions.

Dusty

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

any Idea when the Electrack will be out for the 9"???????

8)

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I haven't heard when they'll come out with an Electrac for the 9", but I'm guessing it'll be a while. That's cause the actuator goes thru the diff cover, and since there's no diff cover on a 9", they'll have to figure out something completely different. ???

I think the bottom line here is that there are some differences between the two, but you really can't go wrong with either the Electrac or ARB. I've had both and would recommend both. Dusty is right on when he says that any selectable locker is "the bomb." ;D