• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Locker (rear) and 28 spline axle?

natotx

Guys -

I am looking at a 75 bronco with a detroit locker in the rear on a 28 spline axle. I have heard that this is considered a weaker system than using a 31 spline axle. However, I would be using the bronco mostly on pavement, with the off road usage limited to relativley easy four wheeling. Is this even an issue?

Also, what are some other things I should check out on this bronco? A broad question, I know, but I was a big bronco guy, and these early broncos are new to me...?:?

thanks a lot

nate

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
31 is undoubtedly better, I have been running 28 Detroit for a year now, offroad in mud and sand a lot, no breakage yet, knock on wood. I plan on upgrading to alloy 28 splines soon.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If it also has alloy axles then it will work fine. (28 spline alloy axles are stronger than 31 spline stock axles) I ran one in mine with 28 spline axles for almost a year before I upgraded to 35 spline. I busted three stock axles in the back (all during hard usage on the trails) but as soon as I put alloy axles in there they lasted right up until I pulled the rearend out and still do not show any signs of twisting.

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
I run the stock 28 spline axles with a detroit locker for the past 15 years with numerous trips on the rubicon and never broke one, only sligtly twisted the splines once. It's all in how you drive. ;D

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
BRONKEN said:
I run the stock 28 spline axles with a detroit locker for the past 15 years with numerous trips on the rubicon and never broke one, only sligtly twisted the splines once. It's all in how you drive. ;D

NICE!!! ;D ;D

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
BRONKEN said:
Glad to hear it :D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Been running a locker with 28 spline axles since 74 and have NEVER broken a axle twisted 2 drive shafts. broken one out put shaft t/case and one pinon. I have never hurt a rear axle. Go for it good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
natotx said:
Guys -
Also, what are some other things I should check out on this bronco? A broad question, I know, but I was a big bronco guy, and these early broncos are new to me...?:?

thanks a lot

nate
Check the floorboards (under the carpet), rockers, and front inner fenders to see how much rust is there. Also check under the battery area and see if the body mount there is rusted out. If you find one that doesn't have rust in any of these areas beware of it. Just let me know where it is and I'll come get it instead. ;D

T

tflack

Stock 28 spline = 4 hours of digging, pulling, pushing, fun!

Attachments

• brokenaxle.jpg
    brokenaxle.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 74

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have had a detroit (For 4-5 yrs) with stock gears, and 28 splines and no worries. I think if you put some larger gears in the chunk and run bigger tires, then you are more likely to break axles. If you think about running larger tires (>33s) and putting in bigger gears (>4.11s), then I think you will start to run into breakage issues. I think with 33s and 4.11s you would really need to punish the truck to break your axles. Just my opinion, someone else will have a different take...but for a street/weekend warrior, that is a good start.

Other things to look for, rust; especially if there is carpet or vinyl mats on the floors. Get underneath it and look at the floorboard where it angles up to the firewall. Check the rockers, the tailgate and the underside of the seam on the rear quarters. Bottoms of the doors too. Some rust, depending on the price of the truck and how it is represented, is to be expected, but take note and get a second opinion if your not sure how extensive it is. Good luck. They are a blast. Oh yeah, does it have discs on the front yet, if not factor that upgrade in. Power steering too.

BlackHorse

BRONKEN said:

It's all in how you drive, It's all in how you drive, It's all in how you drive. I don't drive that good and I admit it. ;D

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
BlackHorse said:
It's all in how you drive, It's all in how you drive, It's all in how you drive. I don't drive that good and I admit it. ;D

Before we did the big build-up of my friend's 68, we put a 525 hp 331 cube motor in the truck for a season with everything else stock (28 spline, not sure if they were alloy or not, locker & nodular center section) and he didn't break anything. This was on sand only...(He's running 35 spline bad-boys now though....)