• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disk brakes - front & rear + tcase brake?

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
I got disk brakes on the front of my 76 Bronco. I've had no luck in finding a set of disk brakes from the rear of a '78 Lincoln Contenintal. I figure I can rob a set of calipers from a 2wd Chevy front & add e-brakes to the dana 20 output. Does anybody know where (or from what) to get a manual brake caliper & rotor for the Dana 20? If I use the Chevy calipers, can I still use the '83 F150 front rotors? Does anybody know if I got to move the shock mounts to use Chevy calipers? What about setting the back spacing?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
This has been covered many many times before. Try searching on it. The rotor you use is off of a 1983 CJ-7. The Calipers are off of a 1983 Monte Carlo.

The transfercase brake only works with a 32 spline output. High angle driveline makes the kit. Cadillac calipers are garbage. Don't waste your time with them.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
if you had a e-brake on the t-case output and something happened to your driveshaft, it wouldn't work anyway. i've never really cared for them.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
73stallion said:
if you had a e-brake on the t-case output and something happened to your driveshaft, it wouldn't work anyway. i've never really cared for them.
In addition to this they rely on both tires being planted firmly if you have a limited slip or open carrier (including an ARB unless it is locked). I.E. Unless you have a spool or locker then both rear tires need to be on firm ground for it to work. If they aren't then it will still roll downhill until they are.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Although this has been hashed a dozen times here is my take again.
Ford made rear disks with the Ebrake, why reinvent the wheel?
The GM option works but is a lot of welding and work and the Ebrake is iffy at best.
Hold out for the lincoln setup, less hassles.
TOFIC