• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dismantaling bronco driveline??

TahoeBRONCO

Loc.
N.Tahoe C.A
this is my first time taking an eb apart.<br>just wondering if a bunch of bearings are going to fall out<br>when i remove the dana 20 case?<br>are there any steps you can take when removing the transmission <br>or t/c to make life easier putting it back together?<br>thanks tb rob wolf

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
You have to catch all the rollers on the end of the spud shaft into the output shaft. To put it back in with all the rollers staying in place, you want to use brake clean and then use wheel bearing grease to hold them in place.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
What i did was put the d20 on the ground with the trans above it, then have someone keep there foot on the D20 so it doesnt move, then twist the trans and pull up slowly. The little bearing things shouldnt move or they will fall back in the hole and not down in the Tcase.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
[quote author=1FINE69 link=board=5;threadid=8974;start=0#64028 date=1031732703]<br>What i did was put the d20 on the ground with the trans above it, then have someone keep there foot on the D20 so it doesnt move, then twist the trans and pull up slowly. The little bearing things shouldnt move or they will fall back in the hole and not down in the Tcase.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I did the same. Worked like a charm.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Put the tranny in 4th gear before you take the housing off, It will keep the trans roller bearings from falling to the bottom of the case.

OP
OP
T

TahoeBRONCO

Loc.
N.Tahoe C.A
thanks mad<br>i guess you mean 3rd.<br>the shifter is long gone,but i can manually shift it.<br>just slide the levers all the way foward,backward???

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=TahoeBRONCO link=board=5;threadid=8974;start=0#64284 date=1031798502]<br>does the intermediate housing stay on the transmission or the <br>transfer case?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I did trans and intermed housing as one and the D20 separate. Are you keeping the 3speed or getting it rebuilt?? If not dont worry about keeping it in gear.