• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributorless/Coilpacks Why not Ford?

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
I was at my family ranch this weekend and finally got to see my cousins project. A 80's FJ60 with a 2000 chevy V8. Distributorless and running very well. Why is it that I have never seen this attempted in a ford? Maybe it has been done but I cannot recall.

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
Isnt the 5.4 in my wifes expy distributorless? It has a coil pack at each plug. The 4.6 in my F150 has coil packs as well. it only has 2 though. Am i misunderstanding the question or am i misunderstanding my engines?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
CRZA1 said:
I was at my family ranch this weekend and finally got to see my cousins project. A 80's FJ60 with a 2000 chevy V8. Distributorless and running very well. Why is it that I have never seen this attempted in a ford? Maybe it has been done but I cannot recall.

All Modern Ford V8's are distributorless, and coil packs. And damn if you have to replace the coil packs they ain't cheep, lucky for me I have a buddy who works for Ford and gets me all I need.

Here are a few pics of my other Ford Motor, in the truck, durring it's build up, and a Dyno showing Chevys got nothing on us Ford guys

Attachments

• 38-34-80579.jpg
    38-34-80579.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 33
  • newmotor1.jpg
    newmotor1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 29
  • newmotor3.jpg
    newmotor3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 37
  • newmotor4.jpg
    newmotor4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 44
  • kb3.JPG
    kb3.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 34
  • dyno3.JPG
    dyno3.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
C

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
No what I mean is why havent those powerplants been transplanted into and earlier vehicle. Like a 2000 chevy into a 80's toyota, or a 2000 5.4 into a 69 bronco. I have heard the width of the engine, but I guess the problems are relative to whoever is putting it in. My main question is are the electronics and wiring issues possible to overcome.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
You could take a wiring harness from a 4.6 exploorer, mustang or F150 along with the computer and use that.

If they can fit a 4.6 or a 5.4 into a mustang I don't see why it couldn't fit into a bronco. The steering colum, and the exhaust would be a challenge, but anything is possible

67ster

Bronco Guru
All things are possible ,given enough time and money . But is it feasible ? My 04 F-150's new 3 valve 5.4 uses very expensive coil packs (ignitors) which have become a password between me and the warrantee service writer at my local Ford store . When all the systems , variable valve timing , varible cam advance and retard , ignitors and what ever else gingerbread is working , it is a great running truck . -----I'll stick with a 289 in the EB however . At my age , I don't have the time left to invest , I'd rather be wheelin'!

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
My dad and I converted a '73 Pantera to SEFI using a custom computer and a crankfire distributorless ignition. I forget who sells the kit but it had 8 coils in a pack and wires much like a 4.0L Exploder. It seemed to run alright but we didn't really notice to many gains over an ignition with a distributor other than I suppose two less parts to replace (the cap and rotor).

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
My '97 Explorer has a 5.0 and uses an EEC-V computer, which is distributorless and has coil packs. It is a very nice running engine. But everyone I know that has transplanted an Explorer V8 into an early bronco has downgraded back to an EEC-IV system with a distributor. Why? As I understand it EEC-IV has lots more aftermarket support and is a much easier conversion. EEC-V computers not only control the engine but also things like traction control, airbags, cruise, transmissions, security systems, even radios. Plus the newer systems require that you use all the features and electronic controls - no more using just enough sensors or tricking sensors to make the system work. I'm sure someone with the right knowledge could get an EEC-V system to work in a bronco, but it would require someone with more skills than a typical backyard mechanic. I'm also not sure that there are enough advantages over EEC-IV to justify the extra cost and effort. I'd like to see someone do it but I certainly won't be the first to try.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It's been done. There are a couple of members here running the Explorer distributorless setup with EEC IV ECM's. I don't recall offhand what all was required to do it but a search here should turn up the information on it. I do know it requires the right crank balancer since it has a ring on it that works with the setup. In addition to this it requires some specific electronics from one of the early ditributorless cars. If I ever drop an Explorer motor in one then I'll use the distributorless setup.

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I have owned DIS systems and I personaly don't like them. don't get me wrong I like EFI, but the DIS systems are more expencive to do anything too. I have in the last few years started messing with carbs and I like that alot better. to me the duraspark system is the easiest to wire in and upgrade, and the cheapest. yeah, my motor might not last quite as long as an EFI motor.....but you trip over them here in yards so that dosen't really mater to me.

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
CRZA1 said:
No what I mean is why havent those powerplants been transplanted into and earlier vehicle. Like a 2000 chevy into a 80's toyota, or a 2000 5.4 into a 69 bronco. I have heard the width of the engine, but I guess the problems are relative to whoever is putting it in. My main question is are the electronics and wiring issues possible to overcome.

Why? The ford mod-motors aren't particularly the best/most powerful that ford has put out, and it's only more shit to break or leave you stranded in a puddle. I'll take my 30 year old 302 with a distributor over a 4.6 any day.