• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need a solenoid

jimmymac

Battery is good. I turn the key and it it just a fast vibrating like clicking noise. Won't try to turn over.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Most likely, you need new battery cables. The rapid clicking (buzzing) is what a good solenoid does when there isn't quite enough power getting to it. The clicking will slow down as the battery weakens
Cables can look fine but still have corrosion building up inside the insulation.
Have you had the battery load tested? Merely checking a battery's voltage is a useless test that can mislead a diagnosis.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
There's been a few times I've sworn a battery is good only to replace it and solve the problem

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

Cables look new .I replaced them about a year ago. Could it be where the Bat cable grounds to the block ? maybe dirty ? Battery came out of my other truck it was ok. If not any other ideas.

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

If I jump it and it starts does that guarantee it's the bat.And does it matter how many cranking amps the bat has. I know there is a min but can you have too many?

OP
OP
J

jimmymac

Well guys I went down to Auto Zone to check my battery but they said it had to be charged and retested. I didn't want to wait so I bought a new battery and the bronco fired right up. Thanks for yall's help. Again.