• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do you know what I really enjoy about changning out U Joints?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
How are you doing them? Socket and hammer?

A $20 U-joint press makes it somewhat bearable...

uj-4.jpg

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Delta - Harbor Freight runs them on sale, plus you can throw a coupon at them.

Banjer - Bwaahahahahaha! Glad to hear you're having fun! We miss ya here in Texas.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I have a 20 ton press...it has paid for itself in 2 years since the nearest machine shop is 30 minutes away, so gas to drop off parts, gas to pick up parts, plus $5-10 per part they are pressing....

Not that i ever took u-joints to the shop to be pressed, but now that i have one...

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
damn you guys make a simple thing waaaay too difficult.
I've been changing ujoints on the tailgate of my bronco (when I break them--- which is often) for years. hammer, punch, thats all thats needed. maybe slipjoint pliers.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Hey Jason!

Janna and I miss TX too but having tons o fun in sunny FLA. too. Hard to be mad about living at the beach. No rocks to play on but great weather and LOTs of...uhh..I scenery. Tell the wifey and the little pricess hello!

Currently pressing U joints into the CV joint on the drive shaft.

Bronco Tail gate= Work bench
Crappy Vice and Sockets= Hi preformance equip
Split Lip Rayfield= Theme music
3 Beers= Temper Maintaining device

God I Love/Hate my Bronco.

Can't wait for the next chance to be pissed off at it! Ha ha.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What do I love about changing U-joints???????????

Ummmm how about missing the socket with the hammer and repeatedly smashing the side of your index finger between the hammer and axle..... Yeah I just loved that part. But I gotta say the best part of all was after smashing the side of my hand repeatedly, I then realized I bent the ears of the shaft and that's why that pesky little joint just wouldn't seat right...... gotta love broken parts and fingers.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Well, all done! Feel better about having spicers in there. Thanks for the feed back guys! After reading your similar experiences I don't feel as bad. But it STILL sucks! Haha. Ready to break the next part!

ransil

Bronco Guru
I always injure myself when changing u-joints.
its less pain full to pay to have them done.

years ago I whacked myself with a ball peen hammer in the back of the hand, the u-joint was stuck I tried taps then resorted to wailing on it, after my hand swelled up and turn black & blue and it looked like I had a golf ball under my skin I went to the emergency room for x-rays, nothing was broke.

last year I got a press, figured I had it easy, the axle twisted when I was cranking the pressure down and it pinched my finger between the axle and the press plate.
took 1 weeks for the throbbing pain to go away and 3 weeks for the nail to fall off .

I still have not changed that joint.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My favorite part is where I put the joint in backward so I can't get to the zerk with the grease needle. Another do-over.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I usually take a hammer and smash my left index finger before I start, as kind of an offering to the Bronco Gods. Besides, I know I'm gonna do it before I get done. I have never felt "right" if I didn't have at least one purple fingernail!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
BFH being the intricate part of the equation.. ;D