• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does this look right? BB D44 knuckle and ball joints

1970excursion

Putting the front axle back together, 75 EB Dana 44.

installing 79 BB dana 44 knuckles. new ball joints (79 dana 44)
the joints are seated as far as they can go, but does not look right.

looks like it needs another 1/2" inch or more, to center up for the axle shaft.

picture of top ball joint, and pic of pipe stuck in axle tube. Axle housing does not look bent, it is the same amount off on both sides.

20110731_134738_725.jpg

20110731_134812_817.jpg

20110731_135045_782.jpg

Quick & Dirty

Did you loosen the adjuster sleeve before seating the ball joint?

Loosen the sleeve till several threads are above the surface of the yoke. (Or until the bottom joint seats firmly without the top meeting the sleeve)

Torque the bottom ball joint nut to 70-90 ft-lb.
Torque the adjusting sleeve to 40 ft-lb.
Torque the top nut to 90 ft-lb.

balljoint.jpg

Last edited:

Quick & Dirty

Oh yeah...
You'll need a special tool for the sleeve. You can buy one, or take a grinder to a 3/4" socket like I did.

sleevetool.jpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Looks like your missing the seals. Also looks like the ball joint is not fully seated in the knuckle itself as the top ball joints snap ring has a gap usually they are about flush with the knuckle. Also the grease zerk in the top ball joint is a no go the axle shaft will take it out as soon as it turns. Some close up pics would help.

OP
OP
1970excursion

1970excursion

UUUUhhg found problem, just to make a new one.

Bottom joints have a 3/8" longer stud than the ones that came out, same pitch, but longer. Double checked that I got the right part number from schucks, and of course the number on the box matches the application listed online.

Now for the crappy part, I went to dummy the old joint back into the knuckle and it just slides into place by hand, and then will fall out if i turn upside down, this cant be right, I know there is a snap ring, but shouldnt it have to be pressed in? and and least stay in place?

OP
OP
1970excursion

1970excursion

OK long story short. learned my lesson for getting chinease crap ball joints,

I made a stink at Schucks over the crappyness of the valucraft, or whatever brand, they traded me for for a full set of MOOGs.

Should have just bought MOOGS in the first place, awsome, installed like a dream. came with lots of instructions and grease zerk fittings and plugs.