• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doner vehicle for a detroit (or other) locker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Is there a good doner vehicle to look for at the junk yards for a detroit locker for the rear?
I would love to get an air/selectable locker but just can't justify spending that kind money right now.

Is it worth the work that it would take to pull one out or would I be better off buying one new?

Thanks!

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
As far as I know, Detroit is 100% aftermarket. I'd say if you stumbled upon one it would be luck and certainly not a stock option. Limited slips are a different story. These COULD be identified by the tag on the differential housing if it's still there but not a garauntee as diffs obviously get switched out over the years. Best way would be to keep your eyes peeled on here or Craigslist to pick up a used Detroit or try your local Bronco forums if you have any.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Thanks fungus. Are the limited slips that came in ford trucks any good?

Like you recomended, I've actually been checking Craigslist for the detroit but they seem awefully hard to come by.

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
I would have loved to had a LS in mine...at least for light off road driving but after going to OCBR and knowing that I plan to go back with my EB, Id say even if I had a LS I would be upgrading it to a full locker before returning.

I hate that they are so costly but figure I will be going with a detroit in my front and rear once I stash away the extra coin for them....along with upgraded axles, gears, tires etc. seems to never end.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Hey Jake,
OCBR is what pushed me towards that as well. Always been a a decent wheeler but that Hot Springs terrain is somethng else. I'd like to be little better equiped next year.

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
my thoughts too. I WAS building mine as a hunting vehicle/toy....until i went to OCBR. I rode with a group of friends this year (one of them helped you out one day) to see how it was and to see what I needed for next year. I went from thinking my EB was about were I wanted it to seeing real quick that I need several more upgrades. either way I hope to be set by next year. just gonna get things a little at a time until I have gathered up all of the parts then Ill knock it out at once. cant wait....