• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door hinge kit / rebuild question

EBGeek

So, I received the hinge kit I've heard such good feedback on to fix saggy doors. Looks like I have to remove my hinges to drill them for the new bushings. They say to use a drill press to ensure no wiggling during the drill process. Is there some kind of homemade get-up people use to hold the hinges? I don't have any clamps on my drill press. It seems like it'd be difficult to hold a piece of metal vertical while drilling...

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Whoops, placed this in the chat forum accidentally. Not sure how to move it...

SeaninSt.Cloud

I just replaced 2 pins in 2 hinges. I was wondering how it would work with out a press too. I did it with a drill and it came out pretty good. Just drill pilot holes through the pins first, then use a bigger bit-if you need to drill out the pins. If you hit it with a hammer and punch it might bend the hinge-then you have to bend it back.

Anyway, just take it easy and it works out fine. I wound up going 1/32 bigger for all the bits because the pins were bending-even when lubed- when I was pressing/hitting the pins in.

I love these trucks because there is so much leeway when fixing them. Good luck

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Get some clamps - they don't cost that much, and you will reuse them again and again.

Then, clamp your door hinge to a piece of wood or something (such that you can have your hinge in the "verical" position), then clamp that piece of wood/metal to the drill press. Works great.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Pricey, but the best thing I ever bought for my drill press was a drill press vice, fully adjustable both ways. You can do precise work and even use end mills turning it into a mini lathe.