• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door hinge pins

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Leave them in!!!!! They suck to get out. i had 5 hinges and only got 4 pins out. I had them off the doors and on a solid metal surface. I used a 5lb or 10lb hammer and had my dad hold a punch. (im a carpenter by trade so he wasnt scared to hold the punch). you have to heat them up and pound the shit out of them! I bent 3 punches trying to get them out!

Why are you taking them out? Dont try to do the rebuild kit! I tried and it was the biggest waste of 20 bucks ever! Ended up throwing them out after rebuilding and painting. I wasted like 40 bucks and probably 6 hours trying to rebuild mine. In the end i threw them away and bought the stainless lift off hinges. The lift off hinges are very spendy but they are ausome!!!!!!!!!

barronj

Bronco Guru
I drilled the top off & drove them out the bottom w/ a punch & a 3# hammer. I would've used my air-chisel, but the tips/points were just too broad.

I will say that, if I had the opportunity to do it again, I would probably just buy new ones from a vendor.

I used a drill press and a bit.
I was going to do the job myself, but after I'd bought $24 worth of special drill bits, my drill press head unit had the slightest wobble to it (hadn't noticed before), and I couldn't bare to do it that way

I spent $100 getting mine machined (and waited a month for this asshole to get the job done), then when I got them back, the paint was scratched up, and only 1 of the 4 was aligned properly- the rest were a real disappointment. That was the 3rd machinist I'd taken them too, b/c the reamer required to get the tolerance right is expensive & unusual & nobody wanted the job.

sidewayshinge.jpg

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
I took mine to a machinist and tried to press them out with a 10ton press and it was bending the frame of the press and the guy refused to continue to work on them. I had to take them to a farm machinery repair shop and they heated the dog s**t out of them and used a big a** hammer and punch to get them out. Lots of heat is the key. As far as lining up after the project I would agree with the other guys and buy a new set. I ended up using mine to make a set of lift off hinges.

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
I used a vise with a tiny socket on one side and a bigger socket on the head side and tightened the vise as far as the little socket would go, then I hammered it out the rest of the way. It worked on all four, but I will not try it again they are all boogered up and miss aligned.

armynavy17

Contributor
I guess I'm the lucky one of the bunch, mine tapped out easily with a normal hammer and a punch. Now I just knock out the pins to take the doors off.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I guess I'm the lucky one of the bunch, mine tapped out easily with a normal hammer and a punch. Now I just knock out the pins to take the doors off.

Mine came our fairly easy as well. I knocked them out while still on the truck the first time. I put a kit in them and was not pleased and bought new ones.