• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door hinge pins

triracer67

Contributor
I’ve got a little play in both door hinge pins. How hard is it to replace the pins without removing the plates from door and body? In other words, what kind of small press could work for that purpose?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im in need of new pins or hinges as well. Looking at this the other day, I cant see getting the upper pins out without removing the hinges from the door/body. Looks like they will hit the body line that extend out at the belt line.

Was also reading that some have had trouble with just the pins and ended up with new hinges. Interested to hear what other say here.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They used to have just the pins a big over size and you would drill new slightly larger holes for them. You will have to remove the hinges. You can Drill a small pilot alignment hole through hinge to be a less to put them back in the same spot

Cortez

Bronco Guru
It’s best to remove them because you need to drill them out and insert a bushing then reassemble with the new pins. I drilled mine out by hand and therefore didn’t get one as straight as I would have liked but it worked well overall.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Those are really difficult to remove without pulling off the hinges.
I bought a set of pins because I just thought it was time to replace them during the repaint. They were so difficult to remove, that I just gave up. I have really straight closing doors and didn't want to go through the process of realigning the hinges after removing them.
Those new pins are still in my spare parts bin.%)

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Ok, sorry but the removal of the hinges and the pin replacement is not terribly difficult. It’s getting your doors back in the exact location that is the PITA!!!! Most people spend several hours or even days trying to get the door gaps back to whatever makes you happy.