• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Sag / Hinge Rebuild

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I am having some trouble with door sag on both sides. The doors stick out about 1/2 inch at the bottom rear of the door when closed. I have played with the hinge alignment some and can get some improvement to under 1/4 inch. The P/O welded in new hinge posts and at first I thought maybe he got em in crooked, but now after playing with it I think I might be able to get them pretty close with some help. I searched the posts but can't find specifics on these two questions.

1. What is the process for rebuilding hinges? How can I tell if they have been rebuilt already but are shot? There are a few broken bolts in the hinges that I will need to either pull out with an extractor or tap new threads.

2. When I was trying to get improved closure before trying to rebuild the hinges I found this to be an extreemly frustrating process. Too many variables to adjust. Does anyone know of a process to go through in adjusting the hinges to get better door alignment?

By the way both striker posts are solid, but have had some work done that I am reluctant to mess with - Might be something that if I start digging into I could get in trouble.

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Door alignment is an elusive thing on a Bronco. First thing you do is look to the hinges, and check they are solid with little slop. You are right to want to rebuild them. This will require drilling and installing a bronze bushing. Simple to do and the kit comes with instructions. Best to use a drill press and vise, but I have done them with hand tools only. The striker is not there to aid in alignment, it is to hold the door closed. Remove the striker to align the door and reinstall once you are satisfied. There is room for adjustment in both the door to hinge and the hinge to the pillar. Forward and back movement is the toughest as the pillar won't give much and you're not going to bend the hinges. Shims may be the only way. They are available in different sizes and I have made my own to get a gap just right. Align the door with the quarter and rocker and then the fender to the door. You can strive for perfection but it will only be attained with cutting and welding. Once you have it the way you like, install new door gaskets and let it piss you off all over again.;D

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Found it necessary to cut spot welds on this fender to get the body lines to match the door.

6fa0c158.jpg
[/IMG]

brian72

Early Bronco Student
yellowrouge said:
Once you have it the way you like, install new door gaskets and let it piss you off all over again.;D

HEHE - If installing new rubbers (hopefully) install them then let the truck sit in the sun for an hour or so with the doors open. Then slam them shut and not open the doors for a day or so. This might help in the forming of the gaskets.

Worth a try.

daj

"DOOR SLAMMERS fixing door alignment on Earlay Broncos"
Bronco Driver issue #17 page 66. If you don't have the mag you can get it on the net. www.BroncoDriver.com
dj

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
That bronco driver article was very nice. Now I have to figure out how to reinforce hinges inside door and how to deal with a bent door.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,
I had the same problem and recently changed to new lift off hinges and installed new strikers. I soaked my old striker and hinge bolts with liquid wrench for weeks before I attempted removing the frozen on hardware. Thankfully it all came apart after re-trimming my allen wrench down from 7inches to about 2inches. My 66 doors where held on with recessed allen head bolts and the end of the allen wrench kept stripping. For the strikers I used a 2 foot long Phillips screw driver and a box wrench.

Better, much better but my next problem is tired sheet metal on the doors. The part of the door where the hinges mount flexes under the weight of the door allowing it to sag when opened.

Good luck!
Chris:cool:

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Hi,
I had the same problem and recently change to new lift off hinges and installed strikers. I soaked my old striker and hinge bolts with liquid wrench for weeks before I attempted removing the frozen on hardware.

Better, much better but my next problem is tired out sheet metal on the doors. The part of the door where the hinges mount flexes under the weight of the door allowing it to sag when opened.

Good luck!
Chris:cool:

Ya, exact same problem here plus a bent door. I do have front and rear top lines matched up, gaps are good, front is flush on vert plane but rear (at striker) is not flush and window frame at top rear is pinched in. I checked measurements across the tub to see if tub was splayed out, but they are fine.

So, I am pretty sure my doors are twisted. Still trying to figure out how to fix. I might try the ez door align tool from Eastwood.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
What year is your Bronco? My 66 has removable window frames so they can be adjusted but every few months or so they seem to come lose. Interesting idea, I've never heard of that tool by Eastwood. Not bad for $29.