• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drilling Holes in Fiberglass

70_Steve

Old Guy
I just picked up a pair of never used fiberglass fenders as another tentative step towards actually repainting my Bronco. These fenders are of unknown origin and manufacture, not that this makes too much difference. These fenders have indentations molded into them, where the bolt holes go.

In thinking about the process of fitting them, obviously I will have to drill through the fiberglass at these locations. Which raised a couple questions...
  1. What is the best type drill bit, tool, or process to drill through the fiberglass without causing damage to the surrounding area?
  2. After drilling, should the area around the hole be finished with something (glass resin, etc)?

Thanks for any words of wisdom and experience!

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Disclaimer: I am no expert.
Hole saw is good for big holes. I have also had good luck with those step drill bits with the multiple diameters on one bit.
If I don't have the size I want in those types I'll take a regular twist drill bit and knock the sharp edge off so the bit "scrapes" instead of "cuts".
Also a slow feed.
As for sealing, if the fiberglass doesn't have a core I don't worry about it.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Yes yes yes - never trust the indentations for anything always fit them five times over before drilling.

I use a die grinder / air grinder with a bit in it. Cuts through slow but the edges stay nice and clean. You need to hold it firmly in place to go straight through. You will need this tool anyway to clean and trim edges so I would get one if you don't have one.

I use electric because they are quieter but here is one from Sears
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-die-...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
Thanks guys! Got a couple good suggestion on making the holes.

So there's no need to "finish" the hole, other than primer and paint? I guess the holes are just like any other edge of the fiberglass... Hmm... seems I was overthinking things... again...

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! Got a couple good suggestion on making the holes.

So there's no need to "finish" the hole, other than primer and paint? I guess the holes are just like any other edge of the fiberglass... Hmm... seems I was overthinking things... again...

On an automotive body as long as you are not drilling into/ through a support that is not fiberglass (wood or steel) I would not worry about it

If it is a marine environment I would say you need to seal the spots you drill, but on a set of fenders, nothing to worry about.

Primer and paint are fine, the only "finishing" you may need to do are any raw edges of glass get a skim coat of resin just to keep from getting those nasty 'glass slivers.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I would 'firmly' clamp a piece of pine or plywood to the back side before you drill the hole....will help with tear out/breakage on the back side. Probably a minimum of 1/2" thick or thicker.

Pops

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would 'firmly' clamp a piece of pine or plywood to the back side before you drill the hole....will help with tear out/breakage on the back side. Probably a minimum of 1/2" thick or thicker.

Pops

Those brad point bits I posted the link to eliminate the need for all that...they drill very clean holes in FRP...with no tearout.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used a bit meant for steel - usually red. The grey ones are too fine and take forever. The grinding gives you a nice clean edge no furry fibers. I have restored several Corvettes and use it for everything.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Chamfer the gel coat after you drill the hole its less likely to crack. I also like to tape over the hole location before I mark and drill. Its also wise to use a flat washer between the bolt and the fiberglass so the bolt clamps up on the assembly rather than the bolt twisting into the surface. A strip of Butyl tape from the RV suppliers between the fiberglass fender and the fender liner will support the fiberglass better and make finish paint hold up better all along the fender mounting points.

Look up brad point drills for drilling fiberglass.
http://www.sears.com/cm-bradpointb/...KQghyEExdkS2si8aLpH_bxoC07vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.mcmaster.com/#chamfering-countersinks/=15hxb61

http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-ext...xREdd2ZuDGzT7qo1kinoqrRlDUNFIcyyuPhoCvSrw_wcB

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
Chamfer the gel coat after you drill the hole its less likely to crack. I also like to tape over the hole location before I mark and drill. Its also wise to use a flat washer between the bolt and the fiberglass so the bolt clamps up on the assembly rather than the bolt twisting into the surface. A strip of Butyl tape from the RV suppliers between the fiberglass fender and the fender liner will support the fiberglass better and make finish paint hold up better all along the fender mounting points.
?The butyl tape is an idea. I had thought of using something like self-fusing electrical tape.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-insulating-tape/=15hxf2q

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I've used a spade bit with really good results. Make sure you put painters tape down first.