• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveshaft spline movement - How much slip is actually needed?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
On the rear driveshaft, how much actual spline slip is needed since the shackles technically move the axle fore and aft as the suspension cycles?

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
3.5" - 4" should be ok with 1.5" out at ride height..
With your short and steep angle it may be alot different...

If you're getting the shaft built then I'd ask from more slip...

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I guess with a shorter shaft you get more movement. My previous shaft was 49" long and never moved more that an inch either way so a total of 2" of movement is all I ever saw (and I did look).

ugly74

Bronco abuser
to be sure, you'd need to measure how short the shaft would be when the suspension is absolutely compressed, and then measure how long it is when the suspension is not holding any weight at all. take the difference between the two, add a couple inches at each end for good measure, and then get a shaft that can slip that far.
honestly, though I'm just guessing. that's my plan for when I get a lift big and flexy enough to hafta worry about it.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Mine does not move very much. With the doubler, I was kinda concerned about my front, it doesn't have much room to colapse but I have flexed it out on the lift several times and with the 7 days of trail rides I haven't had any problem.

David

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Mine does not move very much. With the doubler, I was kinda concerned about my front, it doesn't have much room to colapse but I have flexed it out on the lift several times and with the 7 days of trail rides I haven't had any problem.

David

That is kinda what I was figuring. Last time I talked to Tom Woods he said the large slip[ joints in the rear are pretty much unnecessary while still using the shackles since the axle moves in and out as the it articulates. The front is where it is really needed.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I think with the long arms and the doubler the front doesn't move as much either, my radius arms pivot the same as my driveshaft does. There for they move in the same arc and the length don't change. Maybe ??

David

Attachments

• Crossmember pics 04.28.2007 003.jpg
    Crossmember pics 04.28.2007 003.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 14