• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dupli-color paint shop problem

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
ok so last night i was out in the shop working on getting everything ready for sept. and i was starting on the paint...went ahead and got the beadlocks ready for paint and shot them with the brilliant silver...what did i do wrong...after painting them and letting the flash time they came out with a textured finish...i mean you can run your hand on them and there is actually a texture...my concern is that i am planning on using the same paint for the body....now i dont know what to do....sept is getting here fast and this is not a problem that i had counted on...so what do i do?....thanks guys

OP
OP
stlo

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
dam.....i was afriad of that...i was thinking the same thing, i just thought it would lay down better than that....

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Sand it off and go get some other paint in silver.. You can paint over Lacquer .. But you can't paint Lacquer over enamel.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Quit now before you shoot anything else. I tried the stuff on two VW's and it came out the same. It dries about as fast as it comes out of the gun. I never figured how to shoot it. Starting using single stage actylic enamel and it's actually cheaper to shoot.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
It is drying too fast and you are getting excessive orange peel. Or you don't have enough air pressure to properly atomize the paint. You also might have better luck spraying when it's not as hot out. As others stated use a different type of paint. You can choose the proper reducer and hardner for the temperature outside unlike the Duplicolor paint.

I wouldn't spray anything on top of the paint you applied to the wheels. It might have a reaction and lift since it's still fresh paint. I've never had good luck spraying a product that has reducer in it overtop something that doesn't. It usually lifts. I would use laquer thinner and remove the paint you sprayed on the wheels if they are steel wheels. If they are aluminum the laquer thinner will lift any coating on the aluminum rim. You can put the thinner in a spray gun and use it to wash away the paint.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
More than likly the paint is drying too fast on top and trapping the solvent under this top skin and causing the wrinkling. The strong solvent may also be reacting with what ever coating you are spraying. If you are planning to continue the use of this paint you may try an epoxy sealer first to eliminate any reaction with what your coating over. You may also need a slower reducer/thinner for your paint.