• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dutchman set 20 new axles, seals inside AND out

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I ordered and received my new Dutchman axles. Based off the stock setup but made some tweaks including smaller flange for my brakes, screw in studs, set 20 bearings and 31 spline.

Their set 20 bearings aren’t the norm. They’ve created a different retainer that allows you to use an inner seal (their own, not stock) and their bearings are packed with high temp wheel grease and do not need the gear oil and also sealed on the outside like regular set 20 bearings.

Just curious if anyone has used these and experience. I do plan on trying it this way but. If I ever decide I don’t like it, I can just remove the inner seal.

I found some write ups that say they’ve done this to eliminate leaking in the set 20 bearing setup.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Interesting. All of the set 20 leaks I’ve had that a dab of rtv didn’t fix were from sideloading the bearing hard enough to crush the seal, but I can be an over achieving Neanderthal 🤣

My experiences with set20 are poor enough that I’m watching the ones I’m running very close. They just broke 20k in miles, so far so good. I finally conceded in using them with the logic that most normal people run them for 100k+ without issue in the exact application that I’m doing. I make it to 100k without issue I’ll quit worrying about it and stop planning a full float rear axle 😂

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Like Yeller I’ve had issues with set20 leaking. RTV usually but not always does the trick. It will be interesting to see if the new Dutchman design solves the leak problem.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
It sure I would’ve gone set 20 if I knew that, I thought they were better in every way but oh well.

I’m sure the Dutchman solution would take care of the leaking since it’s set 20 bearings that work like sealed bearings in the there is an inner seal.