• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dynacorn Driver side door problem

Kremer5

Replaced my old doors with a set of Dynacorn reproduction doors. The PS door fit just fine, but the drivers side door has some issues. Here is a link to the pictures (there is a pic of the old door to show that the fitment on it was much closer)

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B075ejO17GvVbUJ

It appears the width of dynacorn door shell is about 5/8" less on the front/bottom side so there is a large gap on the bottom where the rocker meets up with the front fender. It appeared like it was twisted until i checked it with a tape measure and found the manufacturing defect. The best it can get is lined up ok on 3 sides and a 5/8" gap where the front fender meets up with rocker

I have heard doors have had some fitment issues but this seems pretty bad.... anyone have the same issue and (hopefully) a fix? Is Dynacorn the only reproduction bronco door manufacturer?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Have you sent those pics to Dynacorn? I'd at least give them a chance to rectify the problem. No experience on my part with them.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I agree and would check with Dynacorn first. I would also work to get some better more clear photos than what you have, they do not show that well and be sure to illustrate the differences. I know on my doors, I repaired my factory shells and installed new Dynacorn skins and the fitment was close but far from perfect. I had to rework the top edge seam and the gap for the window is now slightly larger than factory but will not be noticeable when felts are installed. These are reproduction issues vs original tooling. I wish someone had those dies...

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Pictures aren't clear enough. Get very clear pictures and send them to the vendor.

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Update

After we took the Dynacorn door off, it was actually dimensionally the same as the original door.

It looks like the Dynacorn door might be warped. When we laid it on the ground it would rock back an fourth. I added a picture to my original link showing how big the gap was while the three other corners of the door lay flat. One of the pictures has a paint stir stick in the gap for a reference.

I sent the pictures to the vendor and they said their other doors they had in stock were the same, but has anyone had this problem before?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you were to properly align the door at the hinge. (Bring out the bottom to match the rocker) the back of the door will get worse but you can align the top cap at the rear bed side. At that point you can see how twisted the door is. it also looks like the rear lower part of the door is arched too flat. adding a little more curve to the door would bring the bottom of the door in but make the lower gap at the rocker bigger. I would also look at the bed side and see if it is not square to the floor. if the bed side is leaning in it will make the gap at the bottom of the door worse when you align the top. You may be able to fudge the top of the bed side top out a little which will help . Moving too far might start effecting the tail gate gap. Moving the bed side out 3/16" would make a big difference.

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Thanks rusty the bedside trick might be something I need to look into. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Bferrari

X2 on getting the adjustment as close as possible with the door hinges. Try swapping the hinges, top to bottom and see if it helps. I made the mistake during disassembly of mine of not marking which hinge went where, and it was frustrating getting everything reset and aligned. I now have them marked! Just recently while doing body work I threw the hinges back on and mistakenly swapped the top and bottom on my drivers door and couldn't get it in alignment to save myself. Realized what I did and swapped them to the right position and everything lined up cherry. May be worth a try. But get them as close as humanly possible through hinge adjustment then work your metal to bring it home.

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Thanks Bfarrri,

The problem is the old door fits perfectly, so it appears the Dynacorn door has a different shape than the original. Gonna try to see what I can do with the bed rail adjustment next week

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I don't know what brand the vendors sell but I bought both doors "OEM replacement". The passenger door fit great the Driver door not so .I had to enlargen the hole for the key lock and for the outside door handle - no biggie - but I can't align that door correctly. I think that the internal bracket/braces where the door hinges bolt too aren't welded correctly/in alignment - a mfg flaw in their jig or something.
SHX

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

That was going to be another thing to try next week.... Look into re-drilling the holes for the hinges

Bferrari

Thanks Bfarrri,

The problem is the old door fits perfectly, so it appears the Dynacorn door has a different shape than the original. Gonna try to see what I can do with the bed rail adjustment next week

How bad is your old door? Could it be salvaged?

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

It's something I would consider. Old door is very bad... Could re-skin and fill rust holes in the bottom of the shell. It also has some cracks from shutting...

Since the PS reproduction door fit it would be nice to be able to remove both window frames when I take the top off in the summers. But proper (at least close) fitment would be more important than removable window frames.