• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco body on a late Bronco frame?

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
The "Chevy engine in a Bronco" has created this topic. Has anyone other than Bronco_Rider put an EB body on a shortened big bronco frame? I was wondering if this was feasible as it would be a cheaper way to get PS, PB, Dana 44, 351, etc. on my '70 Bronco. Anyone have any experience or ideas on this? I understand the frame would need shortening by 12", but how far off are the widths? Any thoughts?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I dont like it, I would rather you put an EB body on an EB, if you need a body for a fat bronco then use a beetle or corvair...

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
I'm with HENRYS69. Too much of these modified EB's and there will be no true EB's left. I am talking around 2020a.d.. Keep the original EB alive!

Jon

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
Aww. come on. He is just being creative. Unlike putting a chevy engine in an Eb, he is wanting to keep it all Ford. If someone is willing to do the the mods to make that work, more power to them. It would have full width axles and a 31 spline big bearing rear. This is a "classic bronco" forum, and he is wanting to modify his classic bronco. I hate confrontation, but why should this be in off topic? :- Id like hear how difficult this would be.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
There is someone who postes here who has done this EB to BB frame. I pretty much ignored his thread a few weeks ago, but it has been done.
I've also seen an EB body on a BII chassis. I didn't really care for that one either.

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
My current 1970 frame has rusted all the way through around both rear body mounts. All the way through as in nothing to attach to anymore. What I am thinking about would be all Ford. By the reasoning some of you are expressing, topics such as putting a 351 in or putting power steering in from a non-EB should also be "off topic". I am still modifying parts from other vehicles to use in my EB, albeit a lot of important ones.

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
[quote author=red67 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121422 date=1049440021]
Aww. come on. He is just being creative...I hate confrontation, but why should this be in off topic? :-
[/quote]

Yeah maybe I was a little harsh, go for it if ya want, I'll even try to answer your questions if I can. Can someone post a pic of this conversion? I just wanna see what it looks like.

bpatton74

Loc.
Alamogordo, NM
I may be mistaken but I believe that the 78-79 Bronco's only had the 351/M , 400, or the 460. :- I may be wrong but I think that is correct. The 351/M and 400 motors from what I have heard are purty much a crap motor. ???

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
From what I understand, the 78 and 79 had only the 351M or 400M. They are decent engines, based on the 351C. Opinions vary on which is preferable; the 351W is lighter and the 351M is stronger I believe. Check out this link for more info on the M engines:

http://www.projectbronco.com/History/history_of_the_ford_351m.htm

I still haven't decided whether to pursue this build or not, I will need to get some time with a late model Bronco to do some measuring; If it is only a length issue, that is okay, but I think it would be too much work if narrowing is required.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
buy an EB frame and do it right, backyard bullsh!t is kinda trashy...

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121710 date=1049502254]
[/quote]

On might think you don't have the confidence, skill or abilities to undertake a project like this.

I am working to set up a web page to share pictures of this project.

Consider this,
What would it cost to add this to your Bronco?

A new 3 member and 31 spline axles and larger brakes
A high pinion dana 44 with power disc brakes,
Power steering and quad shocks
A New Process 205 transfer case
Room for a wider radiator
For less than $650.00 ??
And
Satisfaction of a job well done

Priceless!

It is best not to judge until you have seen the end product.

Bronco_Rider

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121744 date=1049507204]
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=0#msg121710 date=1049502254]
[/quote]

On might think you don't have the confidence, skill or abilities to undertake a project like this.

I am working to set up a web page to share pictures of this project.

Consider this,
What would it cost to add this to your Bronco?

A new 3 member and 31 spline axles and larger brakes
A high pinion dana 44 with power disc brakes,
Power steering and quad shocks
A New Process 205 transfer case
Room for a wider radiator
For less than $650.00 ??
And
Satisfaction of a job well done

Priceless!

It is best not to judge until you have seen the end product.

Bronco_Rider

[/quote]

ITS STILL A FAT @SS BRONCO WITH A EB BODY... beat the dead horse all you want. Do your stupid ass pricless quote hunk of junk. ITS BOOTY FAB. In the end you have a pos under a nice truck... I guess the homos that put VW bug bodies on the yota frames are VW's right?? They can go shoot the sh!t with the local VW guy and be coool :D :D :D :D

Have fun with your project.

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
HENRYS69,

So in your opinion, big broncos are a pos? I am trying to understand what it is that you have against this project. Other than just a purist point of view, what is the issue, i.e. what makes it a pos? Is there a mechanical reason that makes big Bronco running gear inferior? I was under the impression that every major component of the 78-79 bronco was actually better than what came in my 1970. The only negative I foresee is the C channel frame.

If your opposition to this is based on a purist point of view, then I can understand your objections (although your truck is not exactly factory) even if I do not agree with them. If it based on inferior mechanicals then I would really appreciate it if you could point out to me where that inferiority lies.

Thanks!

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
If you are gonna just drive it around on the street and not wheel it it would be ok I guess. I wouldnt do it. Im not a purist. I just think why it would look booty is because you didnt spend the time or money to put it on the Eb frame. Ya know like putting a ferrari body on a VW frame. its still a bug.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I've seen mud trucks done like that. EB body on a 78- 79 frame. Benefits were the wider axles and the 460 with a C6 auto. 78-79 Broncos came with the 351M which is the big block bolt pattern. It was common to drop a 460 in its place. I don't think the owner planned on doing it that way going out and finding an EB body to put on his frame, It was more like what he had available to make his rig work. It was cool because it is still all FORD...

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi Henry,
You made your point. You are a snot nose little kid that gets verbally abusive when you don't get your way.
Like my grand pa use to say, "You can't out piss a skunk"

Bronco Rider

Loc.
Speedwell TN
Henry, youre better than that. crappy comments should be reserved for pirate or kept to yourself.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=15#msg121896 date=1049578632]
Hi Henry,
You made your point. You are a snot nose little kid that gets verbally abusive when you don't get your way.
Like my grand pa use to say, "You can't out piss a skunk"

Bronco Rider

One might think you don't have the confidence, skill or abilities to undertake a project like this.

[/quote]

LMAO. Where did I get verbally abusive?? Please explain?? You are the one that says I cant do the project.

I never talked sh!t to you or your so called "ability". I guess I am a little snot nose punk huh? Im 240, come to fab fords or Reno and show me what a man you are. Dont come here talking smack when I didnt say anything bad to you. I said your project was crap. And your whitty little comments are lame. Bring it newbie. Ill be here all week. :-*

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=75 link=board=5;threadid=15990;start=15#msg121926 date=1049588580]
Henry, youre better than that. crappy comments should be reserved for pirate or kept to yourself.
[/quote]

OHH I am so sorry that if I cant speak my mind. Reread the posts then please reply or keep it to yourself.

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi Henry,
Truce
We have the same interest and we should enjoy what we have in common. Come to California and I will introduce you to Pismo Beach or how about sending an e-mail the next time you go to Sand mountain.
We will kick tail on the non Ford trucks

Bronco_Rider