• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

early Bronco upholstery questions??

Randy Rice

anyone know what the trick is to this, having issues getting mine to fit right .. think its the covers but not sure if I'm missing something. ??

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Heat is key and will allow them to stretch. Either leave them out in th hot sun or I've even heard of people putting them in the dryer. I used a hair dryer when recovering mine.

OP
OP
R

Randy Rice

its plenty hot it was 90 deg today , new foam too ,they just dont seem to fit right , or line up with the foam
:-[

OP
OP
R

Randy Rice

yeah I should have worn gloves my fingers are worn raw from all the grabbing and stretching .

nkhd1

spray the inside of the cover and the exterior of the foam with silicone spray or maybe teflon spray - slips on easier
or there is some very thin plastic that you can place over the foam and everything slides easily and pulls down good.
dont know where to get it or what its called

Rickb1b

I read somewhere guy's use trash bags to cover the foam and make it slise on easier.

Hovtherid

Loc.
Calhoun
Thin plastic or trash bags are the trick. Once you slide your new upholstery on they simply stay inside.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
When the upholstery is tight, as you describe I, as said above too, used pure silicone spray on the foam. It will allow the material to slide. Does the Upholstery have strings? Are you using hog rings? The hog rings will pull on the strings or rope to attach it to the springs, which will give you the shape that you are looking for. I have seen guys who don't have hog rings or hog ring pliers use nylon zip ties to pull the material and hold it into place. Sometimes there are metal rods that slide into pockets of the upholstery and where the cut outs are is where the hog rings pull from.