• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

edelbrock 1405 set up

wesleydax

this cant be that hard but im wanting to make sure the carb is set up right. i think its a little rich cause it burns your eyes. anyway i put a vac guage on the center port and moved distributor to obtain as much vac as posible which was 16. i then unhooked the distributor vac line and hooked gauge up there and adjusted carb screws to get max vac. is this correct or am i way off. its a 302 with a hei distributor.

707Bronk

I was having similar problems. I took it off and re-adjusted the floats and sprayed cleaner in all the passages. Put her back on and it seemed to run a little better.

What made a huge difference for me was lowering the idle speed screw. By lowering the idle speed screw and then readjusting the idle mixture screws it got rid of all of the off idle stumbles and the "eye burning fumes". You will probably have to also re adjust your timing afterwards as well. Do all of this after it has warmed up though.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Timing should be adjusted first to much timing can cause it to run rich of course the same goes for to little timing. Setting the timing with vacuum is not always te best way to set it as it tends to end up with a little to much intial timing. Once timing is adjusted then do carb adjustments. Ditto on doing the adjustments when fully warm.
You vacuum sounds a bit low for a stock or even mild engine if it has a aftertmarket cam then your vacuum could be lower than normal. but most of the cams we tend to run will still pull decent vacuum. Usually at least 16-20

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

thanks for the responce guys. i said heck with it. my FAST system will be here tomorrow.