• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock 1405

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Hey guys! I bought an Edelbrock 1405 carb with the electric choke addon last night off of craigslist. The PO says it probably needs a rebuild kit becuase it's been sitting a while. After reading a lot of threads on here I'm starting to second guess my purchase. Are any of you succesfully running the 1405? What mods have you made if any? It's going to sit on top of a performer intake with 1" spacer. On a stock 302. I plan on driving it around town and the occasional wheeling but probably nothing so aggressive that I have to worry about wrecking. I only paid $50 so I would like to hear your thoughts before I move forward with it. Thanks!

IMAG0389.jpg

70_Steve

Old Guy
On a stock 302. I plan on driving it around town and the occasional wheeling but probably nothing so aggressive that I have to worry about wrecking. I only paid $50 so I would like to hear your thoughts before I move forward with it. Thanks!
The Edelbrock Performer, AKA Carter AFB, is one of the worst carbs for off-road. I ran a Carter AFB for 15 years before I just gave up and went EFI. But, I was continuously being more "adventurous" off-road.

As a street carb, they're not bad. Very easy to tune and probably the easiest carb to rebuild. For off-road use, there are mods that can be done to improve their performance without adversly affecting street manners.

I've got a half-a$$ed write-up, detailing some mods that can be done to improve off-road performance. PM me your email address if interested.

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
I'm running this setup without the 1" spacer and love it. I converted from a 2bbl Motorcraft a few months ago and the difference was astounding. It's so much more responsive and has a little more GO to it.

I should mention that mine is a street rig and probably won't see many trails

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
PMed you Steve!

Thanks for that feedback Chicago71! I haven't purchased a spacer yet, but I read on here the suggestion to put on a 1/2' or 1" spacer to help with heat I think. A lot of this is new to me so I'm just trying to read as much as possible. I couldn't do it without the members here.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I rebuilt mine a year ago and it was easy to do.I used a air compressor to blow out all the passages after it was clean.I all so used a 1nch spacer and it runs really well. when it comes to spacers their are different chooses on type of material their mad out of and style,I when with moroso Insulating Plastic and Phenolic 1inch spacer.

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
PMed you Steve!

Thanks for that feedback Chicago71! I haven't purchased a spacer yet, but I read on here the suggestion to put on a 1/2' or 1" spacer to help with heat I think. A lot of this is new to me so I'm just trying to read as much as possible. I couldn't do it without the members here.

I'm in the same boat- id be lost without everyone on the site. I don't know what you're running in terms of body lift or hood but make sure you measure it before buying the spacer. I have a 1" body lift with stock hood and I barely clear with a low profile filter

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I had one on my 289 w/performer intake and it ran great after I finally got it lean enough, kind of tough at 5000'. If it's a 600 CFM like mine you will want to get the jetting kit and start the playing. Also there is an offroad float needle you'll want to get, it helps with the rougher terrain driving. Overall it works good, just not for extreme angles like most carbs.

Jim W.

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Thanks for the tips Savage! I'm going to try and rebuild mine even though I have zero carb experience. I'm reading a lot and watching videos to try and learn. It amazes me how complex these carbs are. Worst case scenerio is I'll take it to someone in pieces to put back together, haha.

Chicago, I think I only have a 3.5 suspension lift but no body lift. I don't have a hood yet so i was thinking of going with a hood with a scoop to help with clearance. Do you think that will work? I haven't got that far yet.

Thanks Jim! Yes it is a 600 CFM carb. I think every thread I've read talks about getting it lean enough. I guess that's a challenge. I'm not sure how much of a challenge I'll have with that in Texas.

Phil76

Loc.
Aransas Pass, TX
We've got the same basic setup with a 14" K&N on top, no body lift. PO had already cut a hole and put a small scoop on top. We enlarged the hole, and put a bigger scoop on top. Easy to rebuild. Still dealing a little with richness, but I'll get it dialed in eventually. If you've got a C4, you'll need to fab the kickdown bracket, or purchase a cable. Manual tranny has np such issue. Good luck!

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
My '73 is a street rig. I have the 1405 on top of the Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake, with the 302. Around town and on the freeway, I'm happy with it. On hills, though, it runs a bit sluggish. I am still running the stock exhaust manifolds, and will shortly be switching to headers.

EDIT: no spacer and stock hood.

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I'll take what I've learned here and get it installed. Then see how it works for me. I don't want to go buy something else if I don't have to. I appreciate all the help.

gambling209

you payed $50 for it. what have you got to lose. i took off a holley and put one on years ago, because they were suppost to be the bomb. i hated it. i bought the tuning kit and all. i think the holley is a lot better and can make more power easier. my 302 was not stock but not extreme. just my opion.

MarkH@Wildhorse

Contributor
Loc.
Stockton, CA
To make it better, IIRC there is a passage bewteen the 2 float bowls that needs to be expoyed up. It's been a long time, but it was what I did about 10-13 years ago and it worked decent off road.
I like Motocraft 2bbl's more.

Matt_brianna

Loc.
Rapid City
I just did the swap. I have a performer 289 with the 1405 on top of a stock 83 302 with long tube headers. Love it. I had An old holley that i hated, the thing leaked like a sponge and i couldnt buy enough gaskets to plug all the vacuum leaks. I get better economy and response from the edelbrock. I plan to do the spacer and scoop in the spring.

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
I've got one on mine and am happy with it. No offroad yet, we'll see. 1" spacer and 1" body lift.

Paul

ps. I had to add one more picture after seeing your post name. I've got a Stingray 606zpx

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 49
  • PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Bronco and boat 2011.jpg
    Bronco and boat 2011.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Yeah, I don't think I can go wrong with only spending $50. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to fill that gap Mark. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the positive experience Matt and Paul. It gives me hope.

Nice Bronco and Boat Paul! I don't think I can pull mine with the Bronco, but it would look cool if I could :cool: Are you a member of the Stingray Owner forum?

Here is a pic of my boat. A Stingray 240CS of course.

2011-12-29_14-52-17_585.jpg

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
Sweet boat! Yes, a bit bigger than mine :)

Let me know how that gap filling mod works out. I may do that too.

No, I've not tried any boat forums. Got a link?

Paul

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Ran an Edelbrock for years befor going fuel inj. They run fine if set up correctly. Rebuild it, get the off road needle and seats and set the fuel level about a third lower and it will run great on and off road. Even a 1/2" insulating spacer under it will keep the heat off it. You got a good deal at $50! Good luck and have fun!

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Sweet boat! Yes, a bit bigger than mine :)

Let me know how that gap filling mod works out. I may do that too.

No, I've not tried any boat forums. Got a link?

Paul

Thanks Paul! I got a great deal on it. You have to sign up for their forum using your hull number. There is a lot of help there. It's not near as active as it is here, but still good people there.

http://www.stingrayboats.com/owners/get_pass.php